Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

Post by onefishtwofish »

My brother and I got to grin from ear to ear after 2 polite FWC checked us and all was cool. They checked the next boat in as we cleaned our limit of reds (2 per days) and a few flounder. We watched them pick up a red and could instantly tell from 50 yards away it was an over. Well over. Like pushing 30". The other one they had was over too.

As we finished cleaning, one of the officers walked by us and my bro asked, did ya hook 'em up? The officer grinned and said "Oh yeah".

Don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about. I have never had an FWC interfere with my day at all. Checked us out, even got me to measure one of my trout once (it was 15.25, but in a well full of 18-19" trout, it did look small). I hardly ever keep trout, but we were that day. Out of St Marks.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

I have been checked several times out of St. Marks, around Shell Point, and in Spring Creek. Every FWC Officer I have met has been very friendly and professional, but I have always been legal. I'm sure there are some FWC officers somewhere across the state who are less friendly than the ones I have met, as in all professions, friendly folks and not so friendly ones... IF I had been illegal and received a court invitation, then it is what it is... I wouldn't call them an unfriendly or "out of control" officer just because I received a ticket IF I was in the wrong. Everyone has a job to do, and if they never enforce the law, how long do you think they would keep a job? I'm not saying every single minor violation, especially honest mistakes, needs a ticket. Sometimes approaching minor issues from an educational standpoint is best. The trick is them being able to issue an appearance citation for a misdemeanor charge when needed, without acting like they are taking it personal and further escalating the situation. If you disagree with a citation, take it and go on about your business. You have a court date if you would like to contest it. Wildlife officers (game wardens) and ethical hunters/fishermen/boaters are supposed to be on the same team. Just my opinion.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I'm on the water most weekends and am lucky if I get checked once a year. Theirs been a number of years that have passed without being checked. Personally I'd like to see more of them on the water.