Cold hands ruining your day on the water?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsaunders

Cold hands ruining your day on the water?

Post by jsaunders »

I picked up a couple pair of these gloves prior to my last trip to the flats. I don't think I would've lasted very long without them with the temp in the 40s and the wind blowing 15 knots. These things are phenomenal at just $7 a pair. Just enough material to keep you warm but not impede your dexterity. The thumb and forefinger fold back and Velcro securely. Makes it easy to tie knots and work a baitcaster.

Sharing in case some of you are in the market. I keep 3 pair in my boat at all times.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/texas- ... atid=19548

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Cold hands ruining your day on the water?

Post by Salty Gator »

I've got something similar, and I really like them. But mine weren't $7 a pair. Nice
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

If it is really cold and you want max dexterity, I go with simple liner gloves. Then I put a hot hands on the back of my wrist. Then over that goes fingerless wool gloves. I have only fished this way once, but hunted a bunch with them on. Great dexterity for loading shotgun shells and tested to low 20s. One day this past year it was snowing, about 26 and a steady 20 MPH wind. In Canada. My fingers were chilly when not moving, but while hunting, it was perfect. The hot hands warms the blood going to your fingers and as long as you are moving, your fingers are supplied with warmed blood. Buddy from Canada goes gloveless, as long as back of his hand is covered, he says he is fine.

Even though neoprene is waterproof, it is pretty much worthless once it gets wet. At least on my hands.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

onefishtwofish wrote:If it is really cold and you want max dexterity, I go with simple liner gloves. Then I put a hot hands on the back of my wrist. Then over that goes fingerless wool gloves. I have only fished this way once, but hunted a bunch with them on. Great dexterity for loading shotgun shells and tested to low 20s. One day this past year it was snowing, about 26 and a steady 20 MPH wind. In Canada. My fingers were chilly when not moving, but while hunting, it was perfect. The hot hands warms the blood going to your fingers and as long as you are moving, your fingers are supplied with warmed blood. Buddy from Canada goes gloveless, as long as back of his hand is covered, he says he is fine.

Even though neoprene is waterproof, it is pretty much worthless once it gets wet. At least on my hands.
Well, I have some fingerless gloves from Simms that are the best I have found. The full fingered neoprene gloves are also good too, for extreme conditions, but they are thick and clumsy. I don’t get the statement above about neoprene gloves. Yes, any wet will cause a temporary cold problem, but the concept is adapted from wet suits for diving, so getting wet is normal. That is where those gloves shine compared with anything else. And, they are relatively cheap. Cold, wet? Only good choice. Need to have the fingers work for a trigger, bail, or spool, fingerless Simms.
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Not addressing the gloves, but I have been terribly unhappy with Hot Hands warmers recently. I keep buying packs of them only to have them never warm up when opened and exposed to the cold air. Anybody else having this issue?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I've had the same issue with hot hands
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

My gloves bought when I was up in New England. They still warm enuf for Florida winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My experience with neoprene gloves is based on 35 years of duck hunting and using neoprenes for 20+ years until I got tired of them. There are neoprene gloves that can be warm. Just like Neoprene waders. but in order to get that warmth, you need some pile to the lining and 5mm of thickness. When you get those gloves, any advantage of neoprene in regards to dexterity is gone. They are warm, but they are worthless, for me, when pulling shells out and loading them into an O/U-and would also not be good for tying lines and fishing. Not much difference in dexterity than thick warm waterproof lined gloves. If you get the nimble thinner neoprene for dexterity, they are way worse than just good old wool gloves for warmth(all this is based purely on my opinion of dexterity though, your mileage may vary).

Also, the thicker neoprene gloves are akin to dry suits, not so much wet suits, right? I would think when your body warms the water, that adds additional layer of warmth. I have not surfed or dove, but I assume the wet suit is more like the thin neoprene and the dry suit is more like the lined 5mm waders or gauntlet style cumbersome glove.

And I have had problems with the hot hands too, but it is usually when they have been in my bag for a while. I don't use them often, so they are sometimes out of date.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've bought a couple pairs of wool glove liners at the Army Navy Surplus store on North Monroe. Lightweight, yet warm and will still retain heat if they get wet. They had them in OD Green and Gray.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

onefishtwofish wrote:My experience with neoprene gloves is based on 35 years of duck hunting and using neoprenes for 20+ years until I got tired of them. There are neoprene gloves that can be warm. Just like Neoprene waders. but in order to get that warmth, you need some pile to the lining and 5mm of thickness. When you get those gloves, any advantage of neoprene in regards to dexterity is gone. They are warm, but they are worthless, for me, when pulling shells out and loading them into an O/U-and would also not be good for tying lines and fishing. Not much difference in dexterity than thick warm waterproof lined gloves. If you get the nimble thinner neoprene for dexterity, they are way worse than just good old wool gloves for warmth(all this is based purely on my opinion of dexterity though, your mileage may vary).

Also, the thicker neoprene gloves are akin to dry suits, not so much wet suits, right? I would think when your body warms the water, that adds additional layer of warmth. I have not surfed or dove, but I assume the wet suit is more like the thin neoprene and the dry suit is more like the lined 5mm waders or gauntlet style cumbersome glove.

And I have had problems with the hot hands too, but it is usually when they have been in my bag for a while. I don't use them often, so they are sometimes out of date.
Can’t agree more that the thick neoprene gloves are useless regarding dexterity. Which is why I sacrifice warm finger tips and put on the Simms when actually fishing. However, when in a flats Boat at 30 mph getting some spray on a cold day they work great. Actually, a “wet” suit limits water circulation on the body but leaks. Once the water is warmed next to the skin the neoprene does its job. A good tight fit is necessary or the suit, any part of it, doesn’t help.

But this is surely a personal thing.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I used to use the big thick ones for picking up decoys, but I just kinda quit. They did work well for that. I am just careful and grab the dekes by the heads and my hands stay dry, but they were nice for that. I actually keep a glove in my duck boat that is made for ATV or snow mobilers that has gel inserts in the palms. I don't use them for short runs, but when running a long way, it keeps my left hand from going to sleep from the vibration of holding the tiller.