reel upgrades

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

reel upgrades

Post by tailwaters »

Over the last few years I have made some upgrades to a few of my reels. It all started with an old Calcutta 400 I had owned for around 15 years. It was a decent reel but just wasn’t as smooth as it used to be. I started out by replace the old drag with new carbon fiber ones. After that I found some replacement ceramic bearing to put in it. Those two things alone made a world of difference in how performed. The last thing I did was to replace the double knobbed handle with a single one that is used on the 500 series. I had read a lot of guys doing this up in Canada. Apparently these reels are pretty popular among Muskie fishermen. Anyways I couldn’t have been happier with the results. I didn’t keep track of the exact cost but if I had to guess it might have cost me $75 in parts. That’s a lot cheaper than buying a new one but that wasn’t the point of the exercise. I was more interested is seeing what could be done with an old reel. Since then I’ve made some modifications to a few other of my reels. Mainly it’s been limited to replacing handles and changing out a couple bearings, nothing major.

With spring fast approaching this is the time of year I like to work on these projects. I was curious to hear if anyone else has made any “upgrades” to their reels, what they did and if they felt if it was worthwhile.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: reel upgrades

Post by Steve Stinson »

I replaced the felt drag washers in some of my Stradics with carbon fiber ones. The felt ones don't seem to stay smooth.

I also had Jim with Jim's Reel Repair on this forum replace some bearings in some older Ambassadeurs that I have. That worked well. I seem to be able to throw those old 5000 series reels better than some of the newer narrow spooled ones today with all of the magnetic and centrifugal spool adjustments. :thumbup:

I remember mowing yards at the age of 10 to buy my first 5000C for $45. My mom was used to the Zebco 202's and had a fit over the price.

- Steve Stinson
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I recently received a Stradic CI4+ 3000 for Christmas. I changed the handle knob, installed a bearing in place of a bushing for the oscillating worm gear mechanism and I have just ordered a couple of bearings to try for the pawl on that same worm gear.
I used a handle knob from a Calcutta 250. It just seems to fit my hand better than the stock paddle knob. The addition of the bearing in the oscillator made a surprising difference in how smooth the reel turns. I am hoping the pawl bearing will make for further smooth operation. Oh, yes I also changed out the felt drag washers with carbon fibers. The stock felts just don't hold up in the current designed Stradics.
I will report back when I make my final modification.
muskiejason

Post by muskiejason »

I know a lot of guides who highly recommend the Shimano Tranx. On a lot of the Facebook forums the reel is usually highly regarded. Some new anglers are put off by the reel's steep price, but more advanced fishermen know that it's a solid reel and worth the extra cost.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

New reel technology is pretty amazing. I can easily throw a spoon that weighs 2 grams or 1/16oz with my Shimano Calcutta. Or even a 1/16oz beetle spin

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

J Holden wrote:New reel technology is pretty amazing. I can easily throw a spoon that weighs 2 grams or 1/16oz with my Shimano Calcutta. Or even a 1/16oz beetle spin

The rod has a lot more to do with casting a light spoon than the reel does.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven