Ochlockonee Bay, Alligator Point, and Bald Point 2018 Fishin

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Ochlockonee Bay, Alligator Point, and Bald Point 2018 Fi

Post by silverking »

For those who may not be aware Gulf, Atlantic and shortnose sturgeon are protected species under state and federal laws and must be released immediately after landing. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

silverking wrote:For those who may not be aware Gulf, Atlantic and shortnose sturgeon are protected species under state and federal laws and must be released immediately after landing. :thumbup:

salute3
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for posting. Really cool
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

HighontheFlats,
Didn't want Spring Breakers or the occasional angler inspired by your accomplishment to get in trouble. Who would want to keep a dinosaur anyway? :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

What were you using for bait?
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

silverking wrote:HighontheFlats,
Didn't want Spring Breakers or the occasional angler inspired by your accomplishment to get in trouble. Who would want to keep a dinosaur anyway? :wink:

OH I caught on... ha ha knew exactly where that was going.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Salty Gator wrote:What were you using for bait?

ha ha see now that is where the report will end. have to leave the mystery... 8)
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:

ha ha see now that is where the report will end. have to leave the mystery... 8)
If you want any to keep it a secret that’s ok, I can assure I have no desire to target them. I really don’t dead stick bait often. Probably a big piece of cut bait, crab or shrimp. The bald point wade fisherman trifecta
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Salty Gator wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:

If you want any to keep it a secret that’s ok, I can assure I have no desire to target them. I really don’t dead stick bait often. Probably a big piece of cut bait, crab or shrimp. The bald point wade fisherman trifecta

ha ha ...used the ol pink trick worm
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I caught a few while living in OR. but am pretty sure those where a different type. They're like giant catfish. We would use stinky dead herring stuffed with salmon eggs on basically the same setup we use for grouper.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Spent yesterday at Alligator/Bald Point and Mashes Sand. The whiting and croaker are abundant, caught a flounder, one slot red, and one red just outside the slot. Overall was a great day of sunshine. Spent the day tour guiding a relative than fishing. But should have seen his face light up on the 30" red! "Bass don't fight like this!, how big do you think it is?!" is what he yelled over the drag screaming.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

I have spent the last couple of days hitting the banks and wading hard...and let me tell ya, that wind is schooled up something serious. Seen my share of under slot reds at the mouth of the bay, puffer fish here and there with the ever so sketchy stingray lurking under foot. While wading during low tide I did pick up on a very obvious temperature change about a hundred yards from the mouth of the bay. Using my best Alabama math id guess a five or so degree difference. Even had a hard time trying to find my bait everything is pushed off the banks. I have tossed everything from spinners, to jigs, top water, live shrimp, etc.. been pretty slow. Even Dickerson Bay's water is stained, I didn't even see a mullet. Seems can't catch a break lately when its warm its windy and when the winds is not howling its raining.. ... but either way still better than household chores.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Was there Thursday. Tried the yak, but the wind shifted, and made it tough on the bay side. Walked the beach as it was then protected, very dirty water. The horseshoe crabs were at it on the beach. Tried the point for awhile wading, not a tap. Some mullet were around. Got to practice my fly casting in the steady blow though. Just paying my dues it seems.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

eightwt wrote:Was there Thursday. Tried the yak, but the wind shifted, and made it tough on the bay side. Walked the beach as it was then protected, very dirty water. The horseshoe crabs were at it on the beach. Tried the point for awhile wading, not a tap. Some mullet were around. Got to practice my fly casting in the steady blow though. Just paying my dues it seems.

I think I saw you out there, did you lose your cork on the oysters? Neon Green/yellow color?
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Went out to bald point today. Wind was coming from the bay and made it more a subtle tide than a high tide. Saw some promising signs though, and broke in the new cast net. Will hit it again this week and see whats shaking.