Ochlockonee Bay, Alligator Point, and Bald Point 2018 Fishin

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HighOnTheFlats

Re: Ochlockonee Bay, Alligator Point, and Bald Point 2018 Fi

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

I messed around at Dickerson Bay this morning. The water is churned up a bit, hard to see bottom in few feet of water.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I like to fish in Dickerson from the public pier. Did you catch anything? Last time I was there(in Jan.) there was so much green moss on the bottom I couldn't fish. Rig stayed fouled with it. :evil:
Yours in the South
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

DixieReb wrote:I like to fish in Dickerson from the public pier. Did you catch anything? Last time I was there(in Jan.) there was so much green moss on the bottom I couldn't fish. Rig stayed fouled with it. :evil:
Didn’t cast was scoping it out more or less. But yeah same experience with the moss.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
Css1772
Site Sponsor

Post by Css1772 »

I’ve spent some hours on the bars out of Bald Point. Reds, trout, flounder, black drum, shark, Spanish, jacks - it’s a productive area. There’s a population of monster black drum that are a blast to catch. You can see them tailing along the bars. The bars are full of blue crab - that’s drum candy. Catch a crab, hook it up and toss it out and get ready for a fight.
MO Sportsman

Post by MO Sportsman »

Headed there April 2-3. staying at ochlocknee state park. Looking forward to the trip. Was thinking about motoring my fallback canoe down from the park and into the back end of the bay. Think I might find some reds back in there?

Anyone want to be a star for a day? I will be shooting video for my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC44ZdF ... QXXd5kAZPA
MO Sportsman Travels
Show a midwestern old man the ropes.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

MO Sportsman wrote:Headed there April 2-3. staying at ochlocknee state park. Looking forward to the trip. Was thinking about motoring my fallback canoe down from the park and into the back end of the bay. Think I might find some reds back in there?

Anyone want to be a star for a day? I will be shooting video for my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC44ZdF ... QXXd5kAZPA
MO Sportsman Travels
Show a midwestern old man the ropes.

Ha Ha .... so you want the local knowledge and the views? You run a tight shift. ha ha

I haven't been out in a few weeks, getting the boat ready. I know I haven't missed much though, dang sure not these Gail force winds.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

So today the family and I spent the day on the bald point beach just being lazy... well almost!

We decided to hit the beach and get out the house since the kids are on spring break and the wife had the day off. No problem with me, a good breakfastat "The Breakfast Station" and a few minutes (that felt like eternity) for the wife to pick the kids up a new swim suit. Couldn't complain though I packed my poles along, as I'm a sure y'all would in my shoes.

The beach had a fairly good party going on. Few spring breakers drinking cheap booze and sprite, folks fishing, and families sharing the sun and wind with us. The fishing as expected was slow with a few small sting rays here and there to keep my interest. I was standing post by my fishing rods with the utmost military bearing salute3 as I could muster.

Than BOOM, the rod doubles down like grandma at the dog track.

Snatching the rod out of the surf holster my 5000 size reel is screaming!! All I can do is hold steady, line is pealing off. I double check my drag and wait for this mystery fish to give me a chance to show'em who and the hell he is messing with. Finally the drag comes to a crawl and I lean back giving the reel's handle hell, felt like I was winching in a tire.

What feels like a minute or so goes by and at this point the lunker is 100 yards out. The fish never makes another run, thank the lord cause it was already heavy enough. The fish gets in to 50 yards and I can see splashing on the warter's surface. I can see gray and white splashing. I am thinking shark or black drum, "please black drum, please not a shark...drum...drum...drum.." than it happened.....

:smt004 I landed the sea beast

https://youtu.be/tFLS52ObFaU

A flipping STURGEON! A living breathing dinosaur on hook and line! I stand up after taking the hook out and the whole beach was there checking out my catch. Felt like the man. I took her back out to the water after this photo and made a successful release. I didn't have my ruler to measure, but using my best Alabama Math id estimate 30" give a few or so.

We wrapped our day up with dinner at Angelo's, and a cold unit overlooking the bay, today was a good day!
Last edited by HighOnTheFlats on March 26th, 2018, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I wish I could see the pic. Never heard of a stergeon caught in the ochlockonee bay. Good for you
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Salty Gator wrote:I wish I could see the pic. Never heard of a stergeon caught in the ochlockonee bay. Good for you

Weid, it was there when I uploaded it. You think in 2018 we would have better forum technology where we aren't attaching images my html and 3rd party etc etc etc
Last edited by HighOnTheFlats on March 26th, 2018, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:I wish I could see the pic. Never heard of a stergeon caught in the ochlockonee bay. Good for you

weird it was there last night
You have to pay photobucket to use them now
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Gulf Sturgeon, pretty common actually. talk about a fight. I will compile the video and post it on youtube. y'all got to see this thing.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:Weid, it was there when I uploaded it. You think in 2018 we would have better forum technology where we aren't attaching images my html and 3rd party etc etc etc
As a site sponsor you can upload photos directly. Not sure when the next forum donor drive will be. Maybe bman will see this and chime in. There's also a link on the index on how to donate.

Pretty cool catch. Think sturgeon are more common than we realize. Historically they were in the coastal rivers and are prevalent enough in the Suwannee that boaters have gotten injured from jumping fish.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

silverking wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:Weid, it was there when I uploaded it. You think in 2018 we would have better forum technology where we aren't attaching images my html and 3rd party etc etc etc
As a site sponsor you can upload photos directly. Not sure when the next forum donor drive will be. Maybe bman will see this and chime in. There's also a link on the index on how to donate.

Pretty cool catch. Think sturgeon are more common than we realize. Historically they were in the coastal rivers and are prevalent enough in the Suwannee that boaters have gotten injured from jumping fish.

Good deal, I would love to support this and keep it up and running!!!
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

https://youtu.be/tFLS52ObFaU

put together a quick edit. so I could share this with y'all
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:https://youtu.be/tFLS52ObFaU

put together a quick edit. so I could share this with y'all
That's a Ridged Armor Back Whisker Fish....

but really... Dude, awesome catch! Seriously - not often you hear them caught form shore around our parts, mostly Suwanee River area

cheers on the release! :beer: :beer:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image