Dog Island Camping

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

laxman20

Dog Island Camping

Post by laxman20 »

Good morning everyone! Myself and a few friends are heading to dog island to camp and fish for Friday and Saturday. I have never ran my boat over there to camp since owning it. I have scoped out the island and have found some good camping spots so that isn't a problem. My question is this, can we leave the truck/trailer at this marina in Carrabelle? It seems to be the shortest run by far to Dog Island.

https://public.myfwc.com/LE/boatramp/pu ... +Boat+Ramp

Or is there another spot that you would recommend? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you all!
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Dog Island Camping

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have camped several times on Dog Isl. and always left my truck / trailer at the Lanark Ramp. Let the folks there know that you are going to be staying overnight, so they don't get nervous and call the law to search for a missing boater.

You probably already know this - but put more than one anchor out at night and anchor your boat far enough off the shore that the tide does not leave you stranded. If things get rough, you can always move your boat to Umbrella Cove or the harbor just East of there.

Some of my family's best memories have been made while island camping. :thumbup:

- Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Couple things to take into account before you go:

There are protected bird/turtle nesting areas on the island so be careful where you camp and stomp around.

The Lanark Boat Club now requires club membership to use the ramp. You can join and pay the daily launch fee or buy an annual pass. The club is checking when you do launch. The Lanark Market is selling the passes or you can order on-line but it takes a couple weeks to get the paperwork.

Some great fishing around there. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Have fun and post up a report.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Looks like next week should warm up to so that's a plus. I wouldn't want to be camping last night with a freeze warning!

Thinking of mainly hitting Dog Island Reef and some of the holes around the island. Any one been out there recently?
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

Good morning all,

The weekend was fantastic however the fishing not so much. Managed to get a small bluefish and couple ladies around Dog Island Reef/Lanark. Wind drove us off the water on Saturday by about 11:30. However the weather was great for camping. No rain, lots of sun and a beautiful scene.

We sure do live in a beautiful part of the world. Pictures don't even do this justice. Enjoy!

Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Looks awesome, I wish I could convince my wife to do this before I move to Missouri.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Now that is my speed. ... looked like a good time
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Makes me wanna go-don't tell anybody else-sure is Purdy!
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

we camped there on night during summer, didn't get a bite other than the bugs. We fed them well...