St. Marks report

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

coyotebgone

St. Marks report

Post by coyotebgone »

Went out for a few hours yesterday.

Temperature on the flats was 64.5 - 65 degrees, back waters 65-66 degrees. Picked up a short red on mouth of creek oyster bar and picked up 7 or 8 short trout on the flats, right in front of the light house.

Good luck to all
StMarksAngler

Re: St. Marks report

Post by StMarksAngler »

Thanks for the report! Far too few of them around here it seems...
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Debated there or Shell Pt. and ended up at Shell Pt. Managed just one Spanish and a couple of barely legal trout that were tossed back. On the fly. Was like paddling in a washing machine. A few other takes but lost or bitten off. Very quiet except the steady stiff breeze. No birds, baitfish, or anything else.
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

I am going to fish today was thinking that the water temp and what not that the fish might still be in the river and not moved out to the areas where they are in the spring and summer times. What do you guys think?
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

thanks for the report

tight lines!
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

We didnt catch anything, yesterday. We did see one other boat fishing for freshwater brim type fish and was catching some. We had shrimp, gulps and lures in the water and caught nothing.
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
geofish

Post by geofish »

Went Friday. Had to move around a bit, caught some little BSB and an undersize flounder out in 18-19 feet. Finally got into some scattered mackerel on the flats south southeast of the lighthouse. First mackerel of the season and saw my first lovebug, so it must be spring!
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Went yesterday. Only one trout, throwback, one mackerel that bit off as bringing in the yak. Also couple other bite offs, assuming were macks. By the time I got re rigged with a heavy tippet, they were gone. Again, a steady stiff breezed got things a little riled up for the yak. The pelicans were at work feeding, and a couple of dolphins passed through. Some mullet were around. Oh well got to pay your dues.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Went today, the trout were hard to come by, The only keepers we caught were still around the bars in the river. Did get into some spanish and they were fun. Ended the day with 7 keeper trout and 2 spanish.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Met one of my former runners and his dad yesterday at St Marks Refuge for levee/creek fishing there. By midmorning, tide was up and running, further pushed by south winds, so levee canals were full of water...

...and trout. We pulled in 12 keepers - including 3 over 23" - in about 45 minutes, mostly on freelined mudminnows, but they were also smacking topwaters, which seemed the right choice, given the clouds and rippled water surface. Even the larger trout were hitting like schoolies: running with the bait instead of just inhaling & staying put. Stopped after 12 fish, cuz that was enough to feed both our families, and I'm always suspicious that even carefully released trout are pretty badly shaken up, compared to reds. Icing on the cake: a 5.6lb bass on the sweetwater side of the levee. They are off the beds & hungry.

Anyway, the recent cool spell certainly wasn't chilly enough to send St Marks Refuge area trout deep.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Went to St. Mark's reef saturday. Caught BSB up to a pound all day. Caught a lot of gags that were short and a few just over legal length, lost two really large ones at the boat. I also caught what appear to be two inch long red grouper. I was unaware that they spawned here. I will have to sort out when that happens.

Lost the top and pump of my chum churn in the very active waves that had to be endured to fish. That will be missed. Also lost another anchor - good thing they're cheap.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Geno67 wrote:Went to St. Mark's reef saturday. Caught BSB up to a pound all day. Caught a lot of gags that were short and a few just over legal length, lost two really large ones at the boat. I also caught what appear to be two inch long red grouper. I was unaware that they spawned here. I will have to sort out when that happens.

Lost the top and pump of my chum churn in the very active waves that had to be endured to fish. That will be missed. Also lost another anchor - good thing they're cheap.
Sorry to hear about the chum churn. Those aren’t easy to find. Love mine, but really only use it for snapper
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Thanks - I use it for everything. I was hoping a cobe would come by but it's probably still a bit early.

https://www.facebook.com/eugene.randle. ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/eugene.randle. ... =3&theater
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

I emailed the company that made my chum churn knockoff (Chumbuddy) and sent them a link to a couple of videos I made on the day I lost the top and plunger. I was not looking for anything for free, just inquiring as to how to get the missing parts.

They were so nice and they pointed out that most folks don't fish in those conditions. I pointed out that was true and I understood I used and abused my equipment but I also maintain it pretty well and carry a backup for the things I consider mandatory.

They said thank you for your support, we are sending you a brand new unit at no cost to you.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Geno67 wrote:I emailed the company that made my chum churn knockoff (Chumbuddy) and sent them a link to a couple of videos I made on the day I lost the top and plunger. I was not looking for anything for free, just inquiring as to how to get the missing parts.

They were so nice and they pointed out that most folks don't fish in those conditions. I pointed out that was true and I understood I used and abused my equipment but I also maintain it pretty well and carry a backup for the things I consider mandatory.

They said thank you for your support, we are sending you a brand new unit at no cost to you.
Oh I thought you were talking about a chum churn which are no longer made, but still very much saught after. Not the same as a chum buddy, and much harder to replace. Glad the chum buddy folks hooked you up.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven