Mexico Beach from shore?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

StMarksAngler

Mexico Beach from shore?

Post by StMarksAngler »

Going to be spending the weekend in Mexico Beach and not familiar with shore fishing in that area. Any pointers as to where I should go?

Thanks!
bbb

Mexico Beach from shore?

Post by bbb »

Crooked island a few miles to the west. Not sure how much wade fishing there is there.

St Joe bridge at the Intercoastal several miles East. People always fishing under the bridge.

There are some grass flats off Windmark Beach.

Cape San Blas jetties.

St Joe marina and fish off the seawall. They catch reds, trout, flounder and sheepshead.

Rent a pontoon boat at St Joe Marina and fish wherever you want.
Williamsdad

Re: Mexico Beach from shore?

Post by Williamsdad »

Caught some bigger than FL norm bluefish off the beach there many years ago, have not been back. If I recall, they wanted cigar minnows (frozen is all we had). Good luck, please post report.
Live Bait

Post by Live Bait »

I'll be headed that way myself this weekend. I fished off the beach a couple weeks back in Mexico Beach, at the 4th St. beach access, and caught several nice whiting. I was trying for Pompano but no love there. My parents live there and my dad said they have been catching whiting and pompano over the last couple of weeks off the beach. Use a two hook dropper rig with fresh shrimp or sand fleas. The public beach access at Tyndall Beach can be productive as well. It's the first dirt road on your left as you head west out of Mexico Beach towards Tyndall Airforce Base. Also bring a few gotcha plugs with you because the Spanish are thick just off the beach this time of year. Good luck!!
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Live Bait wrote:My parents live there and my dad said they have been catching whiting and pompano over the last couple of weeks off the beach. Use a two hook dropper rig with fresh shrimp or sand fleas. The public beach access at Tyndall Beach can be productive as well. It's the first dirt road on your left as you head west out of Mexico Beach towards Tyndall Airforce Base. Also bring a few gotcha plugs with you because the Spanish are thick just off the beach this time of year. Good luck!!
Music to my ears! I'll be bringing a box full of Gotchas and bubble rigs, and another full of pomp rigs. Thanks!
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

The Tyndall access is where I was.

There is also, or used to be a pier.