Menhaden oil

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Geno67

Menhaden oil

Post by Geno67 »

Where to get it in Tallahassee area?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Menhaden oil

Post by Salty Gator »

Kevin’s usually has some. Menhaden milk is better for attracting fish if you can find it.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Thanks. I was planning to use it in a recipe for oatmeal based chum.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Geno67 wrote:Thanks. I was planning to use it in a recipe for oatmeal..............

based chum.
Glad I kept reading :lol: :lol:

I always love hearing people's chum recipes and their processes - such a messy adventure.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

X2 with SG. White Marsh chum pellets soaked with milk is a good combo. I usually put a bag of it off the stern along with a frozen block of chum. That way you have immediate and lingering effect. Don't know if they still have them but BPS used to sell White Marsh and cheap yellow mesh chum bags, three to a pack. That way when you get done, just throw it away. It certainly is a messy proposition on the boat and when making homemade chum.

My old fishing partner, a Marine staff sergeant when I was stationed in Pensacola, decided we needed to make a big batch for the Pensacola king mack tourney. We saved carcasses for a couple trips and augmented it with filleted mullet from a local fish house. We started "cooking" one night in his kitchen after his wife had gone to bed and we'd consumed a few barley pops. "Doc" was using his wife's electric grinder and I was the loader. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Chunks of bone and scales would stick in the grinder spout and then spit out in erratic gobs. Dollops of bloody chum were all over the countertop, on the walls and cabinets. Seems like we cleaned for an hour afterwards, but his wife was still finding gobs days later. We were banned for eternity from making chum inside and Doc never did tell me what other punishment he had to endure for our transgressions. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Here's what I've come up with so far. Works great for BSB and gags so far but I've only tried it twice. There were BSB and small gags in the chum cloud from that stuff and a chum chopper type doohickey called a chum buddy (started with squid and then filled it with the leftovers from a crawfish boil).

I think it works by itself as I had nearly the same thing happen before I got the chum buddy. I couldn't find menhadden oil so I substituted some more clam juice and canned mackeral.

5 gallon bucket

White beach sand 1 1/2 gallons
Two large boxes of oatmeal
2 large cans of cheap jack mackerel
2 large cans of minced or baby clams
2 Bottles of Clam Juice
2 Mackeral cans of menhaden oil
1/2 bottle of glitter

Mix up and let sit overnight. Spoon it out while fishing.
silverking wrote: We were banned for eternity from making chum inside and Doc never did tell me what other punishment he had to endure for our transgressions. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I've also toyed with the idea of using a cat litter bucket with holes and a brick in the bottom with enough line to hit the bottom. Cleat it off and yank on the line every now and then. Have not tried that yet but intend to try it on Sunday.
Last edited by Geno67 on March 30th, 2018, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

silverking wrote: We were banned for eternity from making chum inside and Doc never did tell me what other punishment he had to endure for our transgressions. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

It won't let me delete this post. :(
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Is glitter safe to put in the water? I read that the menhaden milk is water soluble and the oil isn’t. From what I read it said that fish could “smell” water soluble products exponentially more than oil. That’s why gulp juice is water soluble.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Salty Gator wrote:Is glitter safe to put in the water?
Glitter is probably the absolute worst thing we produce today. Small, takes thousands of years to compost, and does nothing but litter the environment. try using fish scales or smaller bait fish to get that "glitter" effect.

Please do not include glitter.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
capt_crano

Post by capt_crano »

FishWithChris wrote:
Glitter is probably the absolute worst thing we produce today. Small, takes thousands of years to compost, and does nothing but litter the environment. try using fish scales or smaller bait fish to get that "glitter" effect.

I second FishWithChris! I am no tree hugger by any means but using glitter cannot be good for the other thousands of bait you do not catch and put a hook through. It cannot be good for the longevity of a good fishing ecosystem...
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote:

A few lady fish fillets would do a great job
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

No glitter then. Thanks for the heads up. I don't have any fish scales, I'll have to catch some tomorrow.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki