Where to get out of the wind?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JeffB
Site Sponsor

Where to get out of the wind?

Post by JeffB »

My wife and I always take a couple of days off after tax season and go to the coast.
This year we are taking the kayaks and Friday will take a little trip up Wakulla River from Hwy 98.
But Saturday I was planning on launching at Shell Point but the wind prediction for Saturday is terrible. 16 to 17 mph ENE.
Do y'all think that I could get up in Oyster Bay and it would be somewhat protected from the wind. Or should I just leave
the kayak's at home.
Thanks for your advice.
bbb

Re: Where to get out of the wind?

Post by bbb »

They've been catching reds and trout all around the canals at Shell Point. With the warmer weather some may have moved out but thats one option. Any WSW spot of land will be calm but how many spots like that are there?

The shoreline between the Oyster Bay canal and Shell Point would be a good spot. Lots of flatties in there.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The small Blue Dolphin ramp would give protected access to the eastern shoreline of Oyster Bay. Plenty of bars/cuts that hold fish. Another option would be drive over to Wakulla Beach and fish the creek system to the east about a half-mile from the sand ramp. Again, lots of bars and feeder creeks and the best shelter from this unrelenting wind. Far east end of Alligator Harbor off Surf Road is another yak possibility.

Good luck and enjoy the post-crunch break!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
cotton

Post by cotton »

Sun n Sand ramp should work with that wind direction.

Also, Wakulla beach if you head East early. There are several creeks and you’ll blow back to the landing.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Thank y'all for the replies. Don't know how it will work out but I got to try, and report back.
Angler719

Post by Angler719 »

JeffB wrote:Thank y'all for the replies. Don't know how it will work out but I got to try, and report back.
You certainly wont catch them from the couch, give it your best shot and it will certainly be better than staying home !