Keep hand sanitizer on the boat and use it!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Re: Keep hand sanitizer on the boat and use it!

Post by FishWithChris »

Juan wrote:If something in the water makes you sick: CALL ME

:-D

SHUNNNNUNUNUNUNUNNNNNNAAARAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmX21PBhnkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pGZKCzGKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVf0CfA6ygM
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Gary, glad you got treatment in time and are doing better.
I tend to be the type to shrug off wounds, even deep ones. I have Chlorhexidine at the house but I really need to add some to the boat. Thanks for the rude awakening it could save some lives or major doctor bills. :thumbup:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Salty Gator wrote:
Apalachee Inshore wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
J Holden wrote:Get better soon!

There is some nasty stuff in warm southern waters. If you get Vibrio in a cut you can be dead within a couple days. 25% of dying even with treatment.. Nasty stuff that gets several fisherman every year.
That number gets closer to 100% if you eat a raw scallop or oyster with vibrio.
I eat raw scallops and oysters. Raw scallops aren’t my favorite but the clients get a kick out of me busting one open fresh out the water and eating it. May have to stop that.
I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure there are warnings when it’s around. Maybe check around during the season.
I’ve been reading this thread and learned some things, mainly about how to avoid flaming people. Since I respect all brands of medical/dental/DVM folks I have no quarrel with anyone here. You all make my life better, and thanks.

However, this is one area (shellfish) I know something about and might help. Vibrio vulnificus occurs naturally in warm southern waters and is not a sign of pollution. If you eat raw shellfish in warmer months you WILL be consuming probably millions of the MO, but for most people that’s not a problem. However, if immune compromised (on chemo, have liver disease, etc) it could be fatal.

As the MO is in the water naturally , getting a cut or abrasion and not cleaning or treating it can also lead to infections that are super serious and hard to cure. Puncture wounds from spines often move the problem deeper and make it worse. Sometimes crabbers get this and they call it “crabbers hand”. I’m wondering if that is what the OP actually experienced but only an exam would determine that, and I assume it was done.

The “warnings” about Vibrio are usual posted by DOH requirements where raw shellfish is consumed. Like oyster bars. They identify the risk. As my Experts used to say, “there is risk in any consumption of a raw protein product”. Or getting a cut and not treating it.

PS. Hot water as hot as you can stand it on a catfish spine hit is the protocol.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

About 25 years ago I contracted Mycobactirium marinum from being cut in a fish tank on a piece of live rock/coral.
I got real sick over a few months while they tried to figure out what it was. One of the many doctors I had called an associate in NYC and they figured it out and then I was on two antibiotics for months that made be feel sick also. The cut on my hand bumped up and the infection run up my arm and made small hard bumps along my main artery to my arm pit. It was hard to culture because it preferred lower then body temp and was slow growing. I was sick for over a year and seemed like it was never really gone for another few years. I got quite sick before treatment. There are two freshwater forms of it also. Be careful out there
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

The culture exam result of my infection is due back tomorrow. I will post info, so folks know what is lurking in Apalachee Bay.

Beyond that, I can also say that the warning to stay out of the sun if you are prescribed Doxycycline antibiotics is legit. I had to coach all day in the sun today at a high school region championship meet. Covered myself as completely as I could, and used sunscreen and 30 SPF lip balm. Even so, by the end of the day, my mouth had blistered and my face and hands were tingling, which is what a Google search told me to expect.

It was worth it. My kids ran with courage and inspiration.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

This is definitely 1 for the book ay G-Droze?

I used to ignore wounds like somebody said. Glorify them even...I'm tough, didn't hurt etc but I learned my lesson recently when I checked up on a pal who I hadn't heard from in a while. They got this crud and lost their foot. Looking back I should have had it 100 times.