Keep hand sanitizer on the boat and use it!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Keep hand sanitizer on the boat and use it!

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:
silverking wrote:HighonFlats,
Appreciate your service (Navy vet myself) and your training as a corpsman.

OneFish and Salty Gator are both practicing veterinarians with years of medical training and experience. Granted, they work on animals and not people but many common prescriptions and practices apply to both humans and animals.

So your comment about sea lawyers is off the mark. SG is also my family vet who treats my "kids" extremely well, so I put a lot of credence into his and OneFish's recommendations.

Bottom line, my peroxide was old, has been stored in a hot boat shed and I have a ready replacement in the Betadine. Would it still have some topical benefits? Probably. Is any immediate treatment better than doing nothing? Of course. I've doused a cut with Heineken on the water before and the alcohol in it helped ward off infections. But there are some serious bacteria in brackish/salt water and it behooves everyone to take proper precautions.

that was a back hand as the "your milage may vary" appeared to be of the same flavor. so that is where that came from. A veterinarian and a doctor though similar are not. if a cat/dog dies on the table no big deal; no widows, no burial fees, no kids left without parents... don't ever confuse the two.
Making a comment like that I sure hope you are a MD, But most mds would have to much class, and know better, to say something like that
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Salty Gator wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:

OneFish and Salty Gator are both practicing veterinarians with years of medical training and experience. Granted, they work on animals and not people but many common prescriptions and practices apply to both humans and animals.

So your comment about sea lawyers is off the mark. SG is also my family vet who treats my "kids" extremely well, so I put a lot of credence into his and OneFish's recommendations.

Bottom line, my peroxide was old, has been stored in a hot boat shed and I have a ready replacement in the Betadine. Would it still have some topical benefits? Probably. Is any immediate treatment better than doing nothing? Of course. I've doused a cut with Heineken on the water before and the alcohol in it helped ward off infections. But there are some serious bacteria in brackish/salt water and it behooves everyone to take proper precautions.

that was a back hand as the "your milage may vary" appeared to be of the same flavor. so that is where that came from. A veterinarian and a doctor though similar are not. if a cat/dog dies on the table no big deal; no widows, no burial fees, no kids left without parents... don't ever confuse the two.
Making a comment like that I sure hope you are a MD, But most mds would have to much class, and know better, to say something like that

I don't have to verify anything nor will I. I have done things most wouldn't in places you will never see. This started from splitting hairs on best wound treatments on a fishing forum and than the medical heads went after one another. lets just take a minute to breathe and realize we are all right here. It appears we have all found our lines in the sand on this forum and some soap boxes too

Im going to leave it here.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Im going to leave it here.[/quote] :smt006
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:

No you don’t, but understand there are people here with more training, more education and more experience than you( and I). With all due respect, 8 years isn’t that long. Before you start correcting ( and insulting) people, maybe consider they know more than you

I don't have to verify anything nor will I. I have done things most wouldn't in places you will never see. This started from splitting hairs on best wound treatments on a fishing forum and than the medical heads went after one another. lets just take a minute to breathe and realize we are all right here. It appears we have all found our lines in the sand on this forum and some soap boxes too

Im going to leave it here.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:

No you don’t, but understand there are people here with more training, more education and more experience than you( and I). With all due respect, 8 years isn’t that long. Before you start correcting ( and insulting) people, maybe consider they know more than you
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

whatever you say
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:

Look here, quit with these back hand insults. my medical experience is not limited to just my navy time. Im not here to verify what I do and how I get things done in my world. Nothing I said in regards to medical knowledge was false, so maybe verify what I typed before you open your loud keyboard of a mouth.
You look here, if you took that as an insult, that’s on you. You were the one that told trained professionals ( that are required to get 23 hours of continuing education a year) that were wrong. And I quote “negative ghost writer” :lol: . I just suggested that there may be some on here that know more than you ( and I), so before you come in with your “know it all “ attitude, consider that the other guy knows more than you
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:I don't have to verify anything nor will I. I have done things most wouldn't in places you will never see. This started from splitting hairs on best wound treatments on a fishing forum and than the medical heads went after one another. lets just take a minute to breathe and realize we are all right here. It appears we have all found our lines in the sand on this forum and some soap boxes too
Seemed fairly civil until you moved to escalate things.

As for not verifying anything, you don't really have to do so... anybody with half a brain can easily use the internet for that purpose.

Not exactly like you have an invisible footprint... even looks like you may believe an ancient myspace moniker to still be fitting (f***ing hostile, right?). Also seems you're a big proponent for having the right to be "high" on the flats as well, which guess explains the username... never touched the stuff myself, but thought it was supposed to chill people out...heck, you may actually be turning me into a proponent if it helps you chill. :wink: Does look like you served as well and on that note a sincere thanks. Lots of other guys on here served as well, and more than one or two who've contributed to this post. Think the main points folks tried to make were sharing concern for Gary and friendly tips for minimizing risks out on the water. Kind of crazy that a thread centered around such sympathetic concern could in any way turn ugly.

Pretty good advice given earlier to get to know folks on the forum and look for commonalities before looking for fights. Plenty of other forums out there where anyone can get their fill of ugly debate... pretty sure Bman and the moderators on this forum are determined this one won't become one, and think lots of folks on this forum like it that way.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

big bend gyrene wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:I don't have to verify anything nor will I. I have done things most wouldn't in places you will never see. This started from splitting hairs on best wound treatments on a fishing forum and than the medical heads went after one another. lets just take a minute to breathe and realize we are all right here. It appears we have all found our lines in the sand on this forum and some soap boxes too
Seemed fairly civil until you moved to escalate things.

As for not verifying anything, you don't really have to do so... anybody with half a brain can easily use the internet for that purpose.

Not exactly like you have an invisible footprint... even looks like you may believe an ancient myspace moniker to still be fitting (f***ing hostile, right?). Also seems you're a big proponent for having the right to be "high" on the flats as well, which guess explains the username... never touched the stuff myself, but thought it was supposed to chill people out...heck, you may actually be turning me into a proponent if it helps you chill. :wink: Does look like you served as well and on that note a sincere thanks. Lots of other guys on here served as well, and more than one or two who've contributed to this post. Think the main points folks tried to make were sharing concern for Gary and friendly tips for minimizing risks out on the water. Kind of crazy that a thread centered around such sympathetic concern could in any way turn ugly.

Pretty good advice given earlier to get to know folks on the forum and look for commonalities before looking for fights. Plenty of other forums out there where anyone can get their fill of ugly debate... pretty sure Bman and the moderators on this forum are determined this one won't become one, and think lots of folks on this forum like it that way.
Here lies the problem your trying to figure me out and yet your still wrong. High on the Flats is a play on words, as in; polling the flats from a platform while enjoying nature.

You putting my name in google and pulling up an old high school myspace from 12 years ago is bit strange and kind of off putting. II assume your trying to play a trump card or intimidate me through your online service provider.

I do tend to get vocal about my passions, would be no different if we were fending off tree huggers taking our fishing spots from us. I would be right there in it with ya. There is a good chance we all could be sharing the same fishing water one day here in the bend, so I will do better in keeping things copasetic.
Last edited by HighOnTheFlats on April 24th, 2018, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Gary.....I hope you heal up fast. That kind of infection is no joke and not worth risking your life or limb.

There is some very good info that all of us need to pay attention to in this thread. I'm headed to CVS today to update my med kit.

Higher....you seem to have good intentions and a poor delivery. The folks on here don't want to argue, compare cranial diameter or pee in each other's cereal. Hopefully you will figure that out soon.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

All I got out of this was anxiety and confusion. I get stuck all the time. Hand sanitizer is useless? Alcohol does not work? Might as well throw hydrogen peroxide in the trash? I’ve rubbed catfish slime in my wound on more that one occasion, its a miracle I’m still here. I told one of my buddies about this thread last night and first thing he said is yeah I know a guy that that got that from a pinfish, he still doesn’t have a great grip. Geez, can you even touch a pinfish without getting scraped? I’m sorry to hear about that Gary hope you have a quick recovery. I guess I’m going to have to start wearing gloves and using fish grabbers and hook removers like I’m from Palm Beach.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

So uhhh.... Who's excited for the next Trash Fish Classic after this thread? :beer: :beer: :beer:

Glad we got that out of our system.... Now let's shake hands and cheers a few drinks together at Rock The Dock this weekend. :beer: :beer: :beer:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Good Golly. This thread turned as nasty as the microbe that jumped me. Personally, I'll just be more careful about exposing open skin. I consider last Saturday's mishap the rare perfect storm: Started with a fresh puncture wound (from the business end of a needle rush shaft) in the part of my left palm that I use for grabbing/landing fish. Add to that: wading and kayaking in warm creek water on a sunny day, landing most of my fish right at a muddy creek bend during dead slack tide. I was continuously knee-deep in near-stagnant creek water. Lot of opportunity for a pathogen to hop on board. Gonna try nitrile gloves this weekend. Speaking of which...

Sorry, Dave. Rock the Dock is too fun to pass up (I'll leave your secret spot to you). The hand is recovering, but Doc says to stay out of the sun while I'm on ten days of doxycycline. So...

If you see somebody this weekend paddling in a burka, be sure to wave.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

what about the Arm & Hammer "Simply Saline" :pop_1
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:..And as a bonus..

If "alcohol" takes ten minutes to be effective, than how long does one use mouthwash? (also an antiseptic)
I was thinking about this thread as I was scrubbing in for surgery today. It takes me 10 minutes to scrub before surgery also, whine the animal is under anesthesia we scrub each surgical site with chlorhexidine for 10 minuets. It would be a lot faster and easier if I just applied alcohol to my hands and the surgery site and went to work. I certainly won’t disagree that anything ( including soap and water) is better than nothing, but old h2o2 isn’t the best thing to use. That’s the last I’ll say on it.

Gary, I hope you heal up fast. Good luck to you next weekend