Delacroix, LA

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Delacroix, LA

Post by dombern34 »

not really a fishing report but wanted to share a few photos from our trip last week! every year a group of guys along with myself head over to Delacroix, LA to chase these reds and along with whatever else bites!

we left Monday evening 4/16 around 4:30 and arrived around 11:45pm. stopped at the Spanish fort Bass Pro where we bought some last minute unnecessary tackle and ate dinner in the restaurant. woke up the next morning to pretty much perfect weather. water was nearly glass in the Batola Lake (one of the many lakes we fished) that morning so of course I threw top water and it wasn't long before a heart stopping blow up broke the surface! it seemed like the fish would bite anything over the next few days, we caught them on top water, swim baits, jigs, plugs, chatter baits, spinner baits, popping corks, spoons etc.

the best part of this trip is the freedom to fish wherever you want and it doesn't take long to gain confidence in the spot you choose, this made my 7th year In a row going and God willing I'll be going every year for the rest of my life. we've never used a guide and never had to. the fishery there is unreal. we kept very few fish this year but I would say over the 6 day period that we where there we caught (being conservative) 250 plus fish. Reds, trout, sheepshead, bass, and flounder. I even caught a alligator Gar lol.

if you ever get a chance to make this trip, don't turn it down. there where about 7 guys including myself and there's normally around 9 of us but, this entire trip didn't cost me more than 600 bucks.. that's with everything. lodging, food, gas, being reckless and unsupervised in bass pro. I don't think you can take a trip like anywhere else for this amount of money. 80% of the guys are employed by plantations so we typically only go during this time of the year due to hunting seasons and burning.

I recommend this trip to anyone! It's a very family oriented and friendly fishing town with so much culture and history. Enjoy! :D

* all fish pictured above where caught on Southern Custom Rods :wink:
IMG_7216.jpg
IMG_7216.jpg (75.37 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_7251.jpg
IMG_7251.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_7249.jpg
IMG_7249.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_7234.jpg
IMG_7234.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_7252.jpg
IMG_7252.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_7253.jpg
IMG_7253.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_2516.jpg
IMG_7250.jpg
IMG_7250.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_7243.jpg
IMG_7215.jpg
IMG_7244.jpg
IMG_7218.3gp
(97.87 KiB) Downloaded 1728 times
Russ@R&R

Re: Delacroix, LA

Post by Russ@R&R »

Looks like a mighty fine time. I'm still trying to get to Carrabelle, PSJ, or anywhere close, much less La. lol
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Really cool Dom, I was wondering when y’all would be heading that way. Thought I remembered it being in spring. I’ll need to pick your brain and get that way soon. Congrats on the great weather, seems like anytime you plan a fishing trip that far out, you get the wind.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Russ@R&R wrote:Looks like a mighty fine time. I'm still trying to get to Carrabelle, PSJ, or anywhere close, much less La. lol
it's not too bad 6-7 hour drive all I-10. worth every second if you can ever get out there!
Salty Gator wrote:Really cool Dom, I was wondering when y’all would be heading that way. Thought I remembered it being in spring. I’ll need to pick your brain and get that way soon. Congrats on the great weather, seems like anytime you plan a fishing trip that far out, you get the wind.
anytime David! give me a call whenever! I still gotta get that cobe rod built for ya! we had horrible winds last year, 25-30 mph winds the WHOLE time. it was horrible. still caught fish! just not as fun lol.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Nice!
Looks like a great trip
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Sweet! Everytime I go to La to duck hunt, we have reds moving in our decoys. It's a crazy good fishery!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Looks like a blast!

We have been talking about doing a trip for years and I have lots of friends that go with guides and have a blast. I would rather catch 20 reds a day that we find ourselves than 100 a day that a guide puts us on. Not a knock on guides, just what does it for me and the guys I fish with. Would you think it would not be too hard to figure the area out with 3-4 days to fish on our own boats? We self guide in MS, MO and Saskatchewan for ducks, so we are not skeered to try it. Delacroix was high on our list of where we wanted to try. I know there will be a learning curve, but would you think 4-5 competent fisherman could figure the area out in a short trip?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

onefishtwofish wrote:Looks like a blast!

We have been talking about doing a trip for years and I have lots of friends that go with guides and have a blast. I would rather catch 20 reds a day that we find ourselves than 100 a day that a guide puts us on. Not a knock on guides, just what does it for me and the guys I fish with. Would you think it would not be too hard to figure the area out with 3-4 days to fish on our own boats? We self guide in MS, MO and Saskatchewan for ducks, so we are not skeered to try it. Delacroix was high on our list of where we wanted to try. I know there will be a learning curve, but would you think 4-5 competent fisherman could figure the area out in a short trip?

yes sir, if you have a GPS that stores your history on your routes, then it's super easy. there's no oyster bars to worry about just soft mud lol. if there's crab traps you can run it! if it looks "fishy" fish it. I'm with you when it comes to not really wanting to use a guide. even tho Capt. Jack is a great guy I rather go catch them myself. and I'm pretty sure you'll catch more than 20 reds, our worst days produced more!. if you ever decide you want to go, get with me before hand and I'll show you on a map where we normally fish. it's just a huge marsh with a bunch of little lakes and rivers and of course pipelines lol. I believe it's a trip that everyone on here should take at least once in their life. for the money and what you get in return, I don't think anything else can compare!