How do you fish for reds??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: How do you fish for reds??

Post by onefishtwofish »

If I catch a red powerpole immidiately goes down so I can make sure there aren't more fish holding in that spot.
Man, did powerpole change the game or what? Amen to this. We used to really work shorelines when wade fishing and the pole lets you do the same thing.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:
If I catch a red powerpole immidiately goes down so I can make sure there aren't more fish holding in that spot.
Man, did powerpole change the game or what? Amen to this. We used to really work shorelines when wade fishing and the pole lets you do the same thing.
Power pole changed the game inshore for sure ( just upgraded mine), but nothing like the I pilot did for offshore
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Salty Gator wrote:
onefishtwofish wrote:
Power pole changed the game inshore for sure ( just upgraded mine), but nothing like the I pilot did for offshore
My BIL says it has saved him money from loss of anchors and ropes. We stayed put right over the Bayronto until we were ready to leave. very cool.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

What is the i pilot for off shore boats! I have a 22 foot C legacy cabin boat. Is this like the i pilot trolling motor like my bay boat has?????
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Carlabear wrote:What is the i pilot for off shore boats! I have a 22 foot C legacy cabin boat. Is this like the i pilot trolling motor like my bay boat has?????
They aren’t making them specifically for offshore boats but I suspect there will be a 48 volt 200 lb thrust with really long shafts for offshore boats before long. But people are wearing out the offshore fish in their(our) 22-26’ bay boats. Imagine not having to haul an anchor. And not having to play the wind and tides only to have one change and move you off the spot. As soon as your over the good bottom, you push a button and stop, if you want to move a little, just move and hit the spot lock again. I have no desire to pull an anchor ever again, in fact since I got the I pilot 3 years ago, my anchor hasn’t gotten wet.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

Thanks Have the bay express boat 20 foot with i pilot. spot works great 80 lb thrust for the flats not sure when to take it out further....Will have to be a calm day.... :smt006
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Topwater!!
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

It's more about finding the fish than what lure or bait to use. For the most part reds are not picky eaters and will eat just about anything they think will fit in their mouth. The most important thing for me when targeting reds is what the tide is doing. The second thing is finding bait. Your best bet will be to find an oyster bar or rock pile within 100 yards from shore that you see mullet on. Post up on that spot and soak some cut bait on the bottom. Redfish move around a lot so give it some time. It's not a glamorous way to fish but has a high success rate. There are plenty of redfish in the SM area. I went out this past Sat and caught 18 or 19 in about 4 hours on the low tide. My boat gets very skinny though. With Oyster bars you just want some sort of tide movement. With rock piles that are close to shore you will need a high tide. If you decide to pole a shore line go very slow and make long cast. good luck
Last edited by tailwaters on May 2nd, 2018, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickc

Post by rickc »

lots of ways to catch them. much depends on the tide.

they move up the creeks and into the grass on a rising tide. good time to fish the shoreline and creek mouths. know where there is spartina grass and fiddlers and you might have found a high tide tailing redfish hotspot. if you have a.shallow draft boat it's fun to just follow them up the creek. deep holes on bends can be very productive especially when that tide starts to fall

when the tide starts falling it's time to work the bars and creek mouths. find a bar with deep water near a small creek falling out and you can catch them till the tide stops or you have to get out before getting trapped. all those oyster bars hold reds sometime during the tide.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Drag a small canoe or kayak way back into mullet-filled creeks and fish an hour before to an hour after dead low tide around new or full moon, with focus on sharp bends or intersections that involve a confluence of at least 3 side creeks. I just gave away 90% of my strategy.

It's a helluva lot of work, but pays off more often than not.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Good stuff gonna give it a try fri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

H-N-M
you red fish fish when you can
this was yesterday
IMG_0769.JPG
the trout bit was a no go we only caught short trout
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Blue spinner wrote:H-N-M
you red fish fish when you can
this was yesterday
IMG_0769.JPG
the trout bit was a no go we only caught short trout
. Very nice what they bite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

we were fishing with redfish magic spinnerbait
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
rickc

Post by rickc »

my favorite is the bass assassin's 4" paddle tail rigged weedless with no weight. walk it through the shoreline grass or any kind of cover.

after that any of the jerk baits.

now around the bars a 1/16 oz jig head with a shrimp rigged backwards is hard to beat.