MADFIN apparel Rod

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

MADFIN apparel Rod

Post by dombern34 »

Wanted to share this Rod build I did for a local company who offers some pretty awesome apparel! MADFIN is a company based out of Leesburg, GA catering to the outdoors and fishing lifestyle we all share. I had the privilege of building a rod for this company and wanted to share it with the forum. if you get a chance, check out the products they have to offer!

This is a 7'6 Medium Heavy Mod-Fast. IMO the best action to have in the boat. this gives you a great parabolic bend throughout the blank giving you better control over the fish. The way this rod loads up on a cast and a fish just gives you an overall better balance of the rod. It'll never feel like you're trying to cast a brick or if you're wanting to throw something extreme light, it still has the tip to launch it. pair up this action with the Microwave guides and it's a pretty deadly combination for distance! These guides also eliminate wind knots as it's restricting the line waves coming off the spool.

people don't realize in a custom rod you're getting more than just cool looking colors. you're getting a custom Guide spacing that really benefit you and the rod's performance. these grips where handmade cut, glued, sanded and shaped. fitted into a American Tackle reel seat with the threads cut back for a more comfortable feel. a lot of company's keep the full length of threads on theirs and to me that's uncomfortable when you're fishing all day. cutting the threads back gives you the ability to keep your finger on the blank at all times.

the best part is that is this is a 7'6 rod and it's coming in at 3.6 ounces! that's a big deal when you're fishing all day and you're not having to hold up something big and bulky all day. I know this isn't another 7'6 store bought rod that will weigh less.

I don't think everyone understand the benefits of a custom rod. yes any rod out there will catch fish, the same about of fish or even more fish. we all know the fish doesn't care what brand/type of rod you're using. but, when it comes down to performance and the longevity/life of a rod. a custom rod is the better route. using the correct finishing epoxy to make sure it soaks THROUGH the threads of the guide wraps and not just on top of them is just one of many steps in the process. your "mass produced" rod companies are just slapping a high build finish that's drying on top of the threads which isn't bonding the guide foot to the blank along with filling in the empty air between the thread and blank. why is bad? it allows the guide foot to come lose and your guide will pull out in due time. no rod is created equal in this world and I honestly believe a custom rod will out do a off the self rod any day. I'm not saying that you've wasted your money by buying a store rod or your rod is trash. there a lot of a great rods out there but, if you're spending 150-200 bucks on a rod, I believe you're cheating yourself but not going custom. and of course the warranty is better :wink:

I hope you enjoy the photos.
IMG_7298.jpg
IMG_7298.jpg (98.47 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
IMG_7299.jpg
IMG_7299.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
IMG_7300.jpg
IMG_7300.jpg (83.22 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
IMG_7301.jpg
IMG_7301.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
IMG_7302.jpg
IMG_7302.jpg (89.28 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
IMG_7291.jpg
IMG_7290.jpg
IMG_7294.jpg
IMG_7297.jpg
Attachments
IMG_7291.jpg
IMG_7301.jpg
IMG_7301.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: MADFIN apparel Rod

Post by Salty Gator »

Man, that looks great. Excellent work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Nice rod, really dig the colors. If I ever go custom I’ll have to give you a call.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Salty Gator wrote:Man, that looks great. Excellent work
appreciate it!, get with me on that Cobia rod before they get here in full force!

leonreno wrote:Nice rod, really dig the colors. If I ever go custom I’ll have to give you a call.
I appreciate it sir,I look forward to it! :thumbup:
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

If I had a rod like that, it'd be like when I bought my Browning rifle. Buddy said, "you'll enjoy hunting with that." I said, "this things too nice to take to the woods." :D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Pm sent
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

AugustusMccrae wrote:If I had a rod like that, it'd be like when I bought my Browning rifle. Buddy said, "you'll enjoy hunting with that." I said, "this things too nice to take to the woods." :D

haha, it did turn out pretty but, it was built for abuse and use! I'm hoping I receive a lot of pictures with it next to some good looking "redheads"
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Very nice!

I received a GM casting rod from my wife for our anniversary last Sept. and took it on it's maiden voyage last weekend. Third cast of the day, I hook a decent ladyfish. As I lifted it into the boat, about 10 inches of the rod broke cleanly off. It's trash now. I'm going to replace it with one of my two old rods that are at your shop now and will have to update/upgrade to a couple of SCR's soon. (All of my rods that I use for flats fishing are from the 80's or early 90's. Mostly Lew's, including a Paul Elias kneel-and-reel crankbait rod with several inches of the butt cut off).
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Russ@R&R wrote:Very nice!

I received a GM casting rod from my wife for our anniversary last Sept. and took it on it's maiden voyage last weekend. Third cast of the day, I hook a decent ladyfish. As I lifted it into the boat, about 10 inches of the rod broke cleanly off. It's trash now. I'm going to replace it with one of my two old rods that are at your shop now and will have to update/upgrade to a couple of SCR's soon. (All of my rods that I use for flats fishing are from the 80's or early 90's. Mostly Lew's, including a Paul Elias kneel-and-reel crankbait rod with several inches of the butt cut off).
it's heart breaking having any kind of rod break so I hate to hear that. when you're ready let me know! I know a guy :D I can fix the rod with the missing butt section too if you want that done! thanks!
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Dom, I cut the butt section down on the old Lew's intentionally. (Butt section was waayy too long for normal use) I need to come by and pick up my other rods you replaced guides on. You in town or gone again?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

been in Picatinny, NJ for work. shoot me a PM with your number so I can get ahold of you ASAP! thanks!