Who uses a casting platform?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsaunders

Who uses a casting platform?

Post by jsaunders »

I'm thinking about buying a casting platform for my Carolina Skiff for sightfishing(Cobia and Reds). I have a hard time spotting fish from the deck unless I'm on top of them. Most of the casting platforms I see online are only 16"-18" tall. Is 16"-18" going to make a considerable difference? Should I go higher and risk spooking fish? What do you guys use?
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
willfishforfood

Re: Who uses a casting platform?

Post by willfishforfood »

It may get a little hard for cobia on the front looking, but in my opinion should gain some distance. I forget the ratio, but I believe it is for every foot higher you get, you gain 20' of vision looking out into the water, maybe someone knows for sure what it is. With the heavy duty coolers out today, for the price you may consider one. We use a 65q cooler when we get skinny and gain a considerable amount of vision. Only downside of using it is you'll have to bring it down when riding bc of the weight on the front, but not a big downside for me.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

I keep a 65 qt RTIC cooler on the boat, but it always has a million pounds of ice, beer, and water in it :lol:. That's interesting on the ratio of height to visibility. I wouldn't have guessed a foot higher would get you 20 foot of visibility.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have never heard that ratio but height definitely has its advantages for seeing down into the water. Greater angle lessens the glare. Polarized sunglasses with the correct lenses help (copper or amber for the shallows, gray for offshore). I've had two custom platforms built for my last two boats. Never used them enough to justify the cost and they definitely get in the way for launching, recovery and moving around on the bow. That said, many wouldn't fish without them. Eighteen inches high is definitely high enough. A solid cooler with tie-downs will do the same thing and isn't as permanent. Make sure you have some traction on top and a good sense of balance if you go that route. Cooler or platform needs to be securely anchored for safety.

BTW, you're looking at $375 and up for a platform that's built worth a darn. Also measure and measure again the specs to make sure it has the right amount of clearance for hatches, deck space, etc.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

silverking wrote:Have never heard that ratio but height definitely has its advantages for seeing down into the water. Greater angle lessens the glare. Polarized sunglasses with the correct lenses help (copper or amber for the shallows, gray for offshore). I've had two custom platforms built for my last two boats. Never used them enough to justify the cost and they definitely get in the way for launching, recovery and moving around on the bow. That said, many wouldn't fish without them. Eighteen inches high is definitely high enough. A solid cooler with tie-downs will do the same thing and isn't as permanent. Make sure you have some traction on top and a good sense of balance if you go that route. Cooler or platform needs to be securely anchored for safety.

BTW, you're looking at $375 and up for a platform that's built worth a darn. Also measure and measure again the specs to make sure it has the right amount of clearance for hatches, deck space, etc.
Thanks for the advice. I use Costa Del Mar sunglasses with Green Mirror 580 lenses. I THINK those are correct for inshore. I definitely want something that is secured to the deck but also somewhat easy to remove.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I do. Mine is custom & a little taller & roomier than most but I also use it in the keys when looking for new lobster holes.
casting platform.jpg
casting platform1.jpg
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

DEMON wrote:I do. Mine is custom & a little taller & roomier than most but I also use it in the keys when looking for new lobster holes.
casting platform.jpg
casting platform1.jpg
Yea, that's way up there. Looks awesome. Who did you have build it for you?
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
STMU

Post by STMU »

I keep a 65qt cooler up on the bow for inshore sight fishing of redfish. Since that is pretty much all do up here, I got some flush mount brackets to mount it permanently and so I also don't stub my toes. It is nice not ever having to move it, even when trailering and save space by combining a cooler and platform into one. It's mounted on a 16ft jon boat, and it actually helps balance the boat, as the front is so light, and the back is heavy when I am back there when driving!

I'll agree it's nice in the keys too when looking for lobster spots or sight fishing bones!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I agree with the cooler recommendations. Get a decent sized roto-molded cooler and pay attention to the way the bottom is made. Yeti's narrow as they go toward the base, have rounded corners, and small rubber feet under each corner. They tip easier than some of the other brands. The one I have that I like best for a casting platform is made by Canyon coolers. It has a square, flat base and is very stable, but the rubber latches do not last. I am sure there are others that will work really well.

My thoughts are you may as well have a platform that serves two purposes so it's not just taking up room in your boat when you aren't site fishing. :thumbup:

- Steve Stinson
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

thanks for the advice guys

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Great advice thus far, but sometimes you have to think outside the box to really get the advantage vs other anglers standing on their $500 coolers... showoffs.

I prefer the simple approach. It has many uses, including: Casting Platform, getting up to the dock during a super low tide, and walking platform from boat to boat when the CoastGuard and FWC approach for inspection.

Best thing about it? Cheaper than all listed above and super light!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

If I get a low profile cooler tie down kit and mount my 65 qt RTIC to the front deck, will it cause any issues while on plane? I think it might actually help, given that my boat is seriously stern heavy.

2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
STMU

Post by STMU »

jsaunders wrote:If I get a low profile cooler tie down kit and mount my 65 qt RTIC to the front deck, will it cause any issues while on plane? I think it might actually help, given that my boat is seriously stern heavy.

That is exactly the set-up I have and I couldn't be happier. I can't figure out how to post a picture, but if your interested send me a pm and I'll text it to you. The tie down kits really is pretty easy to install, strong enough to keep the cooler in place while driving 65mph on the highway, and easy to remove if need be. I have an Engel, and also got one of those pads for on top. It really helps if you are standing on it all day.

It also helped me get on plane after I installed it. The more beer I fill it with the better it works!

Although I really like the ladder idea!
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Thanks again for the advice guys. I just ordered a low profile cooler tie down kit and a cooler pad from USATuff.

2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

jsaunders wrote:
DEMON wrote:I do. Mine is custom & a little taller & roomier than most but I also use it in the keys when looking for new lobster holes.
casting platform.jpg
casting platform1.jpg
Yea, that's way up there. Looks awesome. Who did you have build it for you?
Metal fabrication of Tallahassee