Best spinning reels for 2018

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Best spinning reels for 2018

Post by Juan »

Not posting this to start any arguments but thought the order was interesting... check out # 8 (just above the Shimano Stella! :-D

http://best-spinningreels.com/best-spin ... ison-2017/
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Best spinning reels for 2018

Post by silverking »

Are you bored, Juan? All your tackle must be organized and I know the boat is washed and ready to go. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

I have three 4000 spinfishers and they are nice but I wouldn't put them at the top of the list.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

My buddy caught this grouper on one my reels the other day. 10 lb. Trilene Big Game.
Fletcher's grouper.JPG
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:Are you bored, Juan? All your tackle must be organized and I know the boat is washed and ready to go. :lol:
I am and rain in the forecast all week so gotta find something to fill the void. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Pflueger reels have never held up for me, and Penn's will last but they don't seem to work as smoothly as the Shimano's.

I have been wanting to try one of the new 13 Fishing reels without bearings in them. I am not sure if they have a bearing-less spinning reel or only the baitcaster.

- Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Steve, just checked their web site and it appears all the spinners have ball bearings. Start at five and go up in number. Some nice features but a couple models come in really funky colors for my taste.

Pretty sure Pflueger and Mitchell are owned by the same company but couldn't swear by it. Used to be called Pure Fishing. The corporation has changed hands a couple times so not positive on the new parent company name now.
Last edited by silverking on May 15th, 2018, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Steve Stinson wrote:Pflueger reels have never held up for me, and Penn's will last but they don't seem to work as smoothly as the Shimano's.

I have been wanting to try one of the new 13 Fishing reels without bearings in them. I am not sure if they have a bearing-less spinning reel or only the baitcaster.

- Steve Stinson
Is Pfueger and Mitchell made by the same people? They look very similar. I always liked the Mitchell Avocets for freshwater. You just needed to plan on replacing them every so many years (but at the price you can afford to).
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

silverking wrote:Steve, just checked their web site and it appears all the spinners have ball bearings. Start at five and go up in number. Some nice features but a couple models come in really funky colors for my taste.

Pretty sure Pflueger and Mitchell are owned by the same company but couldn't swear by it. Used to be called Pure Fishing. The corporation has changed hands a couple times so not positive on the new parent company name now.

Andrew has one of the white 13 Fishing baitcasters that he uses in freshwater. (This is not the bearing-less model). That thing out-casts our Revo's.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

They didn't make the list, but I bought a Florida Fishing Products 3000 Osprey reel to try out. Haven't fished it a lot. Heavy but rugged and more drag capacity than similar sizes from other manufacturers. Using it as a medium-heavy reel for snook/permit on one of my travel rods. Sells through their web store for $164.99. The 2500 is five dollars less.
Osprey_3000_Spinning_Reel-02_grande.jpg
Osprey_3000_Spinning_Reel-02_grande.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

[/quote]

Is Pfueger and Mitchell made by the same people? They look very similar. I always liked the Mitchell Avocets for freshwater. You just needed to plan on replacing them every so many years (but at the price you can afford to).[/quote]

Abu, Penn, Pflueger, Mitchell, are all owned by Pure fishing. I have seen the insides of the new Lewes baitcasters and they look a lot like a Pflueger.
Most of the private label reels, (BPS, Cabelas, West Marine, etc...) are either Pflueger or Abu.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I'm a big fan of the 13 fishing line up. I use them for both fresh and saltwater. these are the C's and I have the A's for salt. granted I still have the Ci4's in spinning because 13 didn't come out with a higher end spinning reel until just recently.
IMG_5690.jpg

I've casted the concept Z (the no bearing reel) and it's pretty dang sweet. just wish it came in a different color but I'm sure I can find a way to match it to a rod..
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

dombern34 wrote:I'm a big fan of the 13 fishing line up. I use them for both fresh and saltwater. these are the C's and I have the A's for salt. granted I still have the Ci4's in spinning because 13 didn't come out with a higher end spinning reel until just recently.
IMG_5690.jpg

I've casted the concept Z (the no bearing reel) and it's pretty dang sweet. just wish it came in a different color but I'm sure I can find a way to match it to a rod..
Never heard of them. What’s the deal? American made? They ( spinners) didn’t have weights published, are they light? The prototype x looks pretty neat. Who sells them? Who services for you?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Rod and reel colors have to match??
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:Rod and reel colors have to match??
Well, if you're a bass guy - Rods, reels, boats, trailers, trucks, clothes, shoes, etc. etc. :-D :-D