Favorite Rods and Reels At Various Price Points?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mattieya

Re: Favorite Rods and Reels At Various Price Points?

Post by mattieya »

I researched heavily prior to purchasing my rod & reel. Saw a review by Alan Hawk on the Diawa BG. Was sold. Purchased near the end of 2016 (~$100). Now I own 2. They have never disappointed and I couldn't agree with Salty Gator more here regarding the quality and value. I paired it with a 7'6 Medium TFO G.Loomis signature series (~$100). Spectacular combo.

I've always considered Falcon and even customizing with Southern Customs that I've discovered here in this forum.

I have my eye on the Diawa Saltist Back Bay in the $200 range.
STMU

Post by STMU »

Big fan of the hurricane redbone rods for inshore (~100). Have 3 of them at 7'6" medium light fast action. Great warranty too, just cut off the model number, put it in an envelope with $15 bucks and they send you a new rod. No receipt, no questions asked.

Ugly Stick has really dropped off on quality. Not that I expect much, but I have a few that are 10+ years old and still going strong. Recently purchased a new one, and the guides are now metal (zinc). Already starting to rust after 3 months.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

I think I like Penn's :wink:
Attachments
DSC_5556.JPG
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I like craigslist for rod/reel combos and prefer older stuff because you can get a really good deal on "lots". I paid $180 for about a dozen rod/reel combos(mostly penn) and see them often just don't need anything. That being said i'll play.

I don't care for baitcast setups but have a couple. Just never acclimated to them.

≈ $50
Shimano Sienna $30 and hold up well. I think it got replaced with sedona and I have one of those too.
I also have a generic bass pro reel(megacast I think) that has been through hell and still ticking. Never even greased it.

Ugly stick GX2's regularly drop in price and I think I paid around $20 for one @ walmart.
Pretty much anything made by ugly stick @ this range has held up.
I also have a Berkley Amp rod I like. Regular price on this one is $25 @ academy and paired with the Shimano Sienna makes a killer guest rod/kayak rod.

Okuma used to be good but based on just shopping around don't see it anymore.

I recently picked up a Star combo from west marine on clearance for around $40.. Very awesome deal and was 50% off clearance price(can't remember the price) but regularly around $140.

≈ $100
I like penn battle combo's at this price point but I don't care for the Penn Fierce rods/reels.

≈ $200
I'm too cheap to pay this much for inshore stuff(mostly what I do).
≈ $300
I'm too cheap to pay this much for inshore stuff(mostly what I do).