PC Beach

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Keywest 196br

PC Beach

Post by Keywest 196br »

I have not got to do much fishing this year because son playing baseball, but we have place rented at Panama City Beach the week of the 4th, and taking the boat with me. I mostly fish the Keaton area inshore, I have never fished in PC. I have keywest 196bayreef so I am looking for advice, tips anyone has on what may be biting and where to fish. I will have 2
14 year old boys that just want something to pull the line. Thanks for any help
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: PC Beach

Post by silverking »

Big jacks off the beach this time of year. Plenty of pull. Might still be some Spanish around in nearshore depths, along with possibly smaller kings, bonita and schoolie dolphin. West Bay probably requires a dawn patrol for trout and reds with the heat.

Be worth a stop by Half Hitch Bait & Tackle to get some local intel.

Good luck and have fun.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I've heard that there is a "secret" season open for the endangered and elusive Red Snapper going on in the gulf until 7/20. If you are willing to venture out into 60' - 70' of water (which is darn close over there) and you have a chart with any of the public numbers near PCB I suspect you could find some of those elusive red snappers to pull on their rod and would also be very tasty on the plate. Lord help them if they were to accidently drop a live pinfish over the reef and hook up to a reef donkey/gag/goliath while dropping for snapper.

If you don't have any public numbers you can peruse the FWC list of artificial reefs conveniently listed by county. You can find it Here

Mexico Beach area also has tons of reefs within easy distance of your Bay Reef on a good day and they have an awesome ramp and new fish cleaning station as well if you don't mind the tow. I've had my Bay Reef 30+ miles off Mexico Beach multiple times, heck with snapper season open you might be able to walk from boat to boat to get out there :-D

Check the FWC snapper page for rules if you are not already familiar with them.

:thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Early and late should be good fishing for trout and reds in the bay. Should be some Spanish, bluefish and ladyfish too. Check out this site for some food reports:

http://www.baycountyoutdoors.com/site/9 ... e.php#2891
Keywest 196br

Post by Keywest 196br »

Hey guys thanks for the info, SK I will definitely stop in at half hitch for the latest update. Zload I too have heard of that super secret snapper season and if we have a good day we may try and run out try our luck. Leonreno thanks for the website and info. I will post a report when or while we are down there. I will be down there the 2nd through the 7th if anybody else is down there that week and wants to jump on board for a day or 1/2 day let me know.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Where do you plan to launch? We caught some very respectable snapper in state waters near sandestin last weekend.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I fish PC a lot and was 18 miles offshore of the beach yesterday hunting those endangered red snapper when this was posted. Caught a limit but it was tough getting the bait past the trigger fish and remoras. Public numbers get hit hard by both rec fishermen and dive boats but they still hold fish. The bait is thick outside the pass and should stay that way through summer so pick up a couple of sabiki rigs at Half Hitch and head to the channel buoys just outside the pass. They're out of season but the reef donkeys (amberjack) are an easy catch at the Sherman wreck if you want to get your lines stretched. Kings are out there too.. we caught two by accident. free line a live bait or troll for those.. You can launch at Saint Andrews Marina or State Park but the best ramp and parking in PC is at the City Marina on Harrison Dr. There's going to be a LOT of rental boats, jet skis, charter boats, guides, freighters, tourist boats and locals on the water the week of the fourth. I'd avoid the bay and head out the pass... Wait what am I saying.... I wouldn't launch the boat that week! Be safe..
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Keywest 196br

Post by Keywest 196br »

SG not sure what ramp I will launch from but the place we rented has a boat dock on the lower lagoon. Juan thanks for the tip on bait, and the wreck. I am sure we will have a blast just fishing new water, we are looking forward to it. On a side note I was able take off this Friday so I am going to slip down to Keaton, will post a report when we get back. I have a feeling it is going to start off with it was really HOT
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Would you happen to be staying at Venture Out? That's where I will be that week :thumbup:
Keywest 196br

Post by Keywest 196br »

Trout Trent no we are staying on the other side of the bridge on the lagoon
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

We go several times a year and stay at bay point. Heading bank next week and will be snapper fishing the close in wrecks. Did ok on them last year. And only 7 miles out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk