Two Vets Need Help at St george Island

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jjewell99

Two Vets Need Help at St george Island

Post by jjewell99 »

I usually do pretty good researching and searching where i can find some fish, however I have had boat problems had to get it worked on today and havent been able to seek and destroy like normal. I myself am an Iraq Vet as an MP in 2005 and my buddy im fishing with is a 2 time Iraq vet 2003 with the 82airborne (infantry) in the initial invasion and a national guard unit in 2006. We just need some tips where to start fishing for trout and reds st george and dog island. we have lost 3 days and dont want to get skunked. Oh btw he is fly fishing so I would really like to get him a couple saltwater fish(hes never caught on on the fly). Thanks in advance Ill give a full report after fishing if anybody wants it.
BillytheKid

Re: Two Vets Need Help at St george Island

Post by BillytheKid »

The cut at the East end of St George is a good spot. I believe you need a 4wd if I remember correctly.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

I agree about east SGI.Get gate lock code from park office, only 20 cars allowed per day. Rough, but fine without 4wd. I'm a fly guy and have caught trout,reddfish, jacks, pompano, ladyfish, Spanish macks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Similar to my post re: Panama City Beach. The hot water inshore requires early or late forays--when the water is coolest or the sun is dropping--for shallow trout and reds bayside. Otherwise, the deeper grass flats off the edge will be worth a shot. Pelican Island off the Boy Scout camp is a possibility. So are the beach troughs when the tide is up. Big jacks roaming around and may be some lingering Spanish in deeper water. Watch for bird activity, drift or trolling motor into range and use Clousers or epoxy minnow flies with a fast strip. The grass flats and oyster coves on the backside of LSGI is another option, but same rules apply as far as water temps.

Good luck.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

PM sent. Good luck guys. Thank you for your service. salute3
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
jjewell99

Post by jjewell99 »

eightwt wrote:I agree about east SGI.Get gate lock code from park office, only 20 cars allowed per day. Rough, but fine without 4wd. I'm a fly guy and have caught trout,reddfish, jacks, pompano, ladyfish, Spanish macks.
Will they give the code out? I told them 8am was too late but didn’t offer a gate code? By 10 am it was dead with no wind and felt like an oven
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Spent last weekend there and the fishing was terrible! I fished from the cut to the Boy Scout ramp and everywhere in between. Caught three trout Friday and not even a bite Saturday. Water is stirred up from them dredging the main channel. I don’t know if that was the problem or not but it didn’t help.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

The fishing around SGA has been up and down this year with the crazy weather. Guides are saying the same. Just keep your line in the water and enjoy being out there.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!