Scalloping Keaton beach 6/23/18

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redfin
Site Sponsor

Re: Scalloping Keaton beach 6/23/18

Post by Redfin »

That's how it works - not sure how that's cutting in line. Been that way for years.

Where is this corner people are getting dropped off at you keep mentioning? Been fishing Keaton for 30 years and yet to spot this drop off area.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

relicshunter wrote:Yes It moves much faster for the people that cut in line!
Wow that's disappointing. So the people that come to the ramp tenth in line but drop someone around the corner is in the right? Am I understanding you both correctly? Another example would be, you drive in the 75 ramp lane until you can beat most of the straight lane traffic and then cut back in near the light right?
With this logic, I guess whoever gets to the ramp first also gets all of JT's holes first too, even if he beats them there. IMO gotta agree with SG, the ramp line is based on who is in line with truck and trailer. If you parked way up the road, and I'm in the parking lot, I'm definitely not waiting on you either.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

lanes are on the road not in the water. trailers that are ready have priority, not boats floating in the general vicinity of the ramp.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

Back to the original subject...looks like you guys had a blast!

To the off topic, one of the true pleasures of retirement is a sportsman schedule of activities Tuesday-Thursday!!
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Redfin wrote:That's how it works - not sure how that's cutting in line. Been that way for years.

Where is this corner people are getting dropped off at you keep mentioning? Been fishing Keaton for 30 years and yet to spot this drop off area.
That’s what I’m trying to figure out, sound like good strategy. I don’t have to use the ramp to load and unload thankfully but I do drop and pick people up from right there. I’m not waiting in canal line for that and I get chirped all the time by people hanging on shrimp boats and anchored down in the canal. Lol
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I think I know what he's talking about. I've seen this happen and it frustrated me. As I was ideling down the canal towards the ramp and the boats were backed up almost to the old marina. So there is no way to get to the docks to let someone off to get the trailer. I see the boat behind me let one of at someone else's private dock and they ran to the truck. Got in line and watched the boater pass everyone else in the canal and beat 10-15 people out.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Jumping on someone’s private dock is a good way to get yourself in some trouble.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

flatsbroke22 wrote:I think I know what he's talking about. I've seen this happen and it frustrated me. As I was ideling down the canal towards the ramp and the boats were backed up almost to the old marina. So there is no way to get to the docks to let someone off to get the trailer. I see the boat behind me let one of at someone else's private dock and they ran to the truck. Got in line and watched the boater pass everyone else in the canal and beat 10-15 people out.
Probably a property owner/renter who parked his trailer at house to avoid the $10 fee/ramp permit. That is very few from what Ive seen so I don't stress over it. I do that :) :thumbup:
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Redfin wrote:
flatsbroke22 wrote:I think I know what he's talking about. I've seen this happen and it frustrated me. As I was ideling down the canal towards the ramp and the boats were backed up almost to the old marina. So there is no way to get to the docks to let someone off to get the trailer. I see the boat behind me let one of at someone else's private dock and they ran to the truck. Got in line and watched the boater pass everyone else in the canal and beat 10-15 people out.
Probably a property owner/renter who parked his trailer at house to avoid the $10 fee/ramp permit. That is very few from what Ive seen so I don't stress over it. I do that :) :thumbup:

Not the case here. I saw him run to the parking lot and fetch truck and trailer.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I've only been to Keaton one time and it wasn't a necessarily busy day. That is a BAD design for ramp/truck & trailer parking/boat access, as are most of the other saltwater ramps I've used/seen in Fl. & Ga.. I competed in and ran bass tournaments from Ky. to south Fl. for 30 years. The saltwater marinas/ramps need to look at "most" freshwater ramp/parking area designs. Putting a ramp at the end of a dead end canal just ain't smart. It's like building a WalMart at the end of a cul-de-sac. Cluster flop waiting to happen.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sounds like they really need an attendant, especially during scallop season
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Taylor county had to work with what they had and could afford at the time, it is better than nothing. coastal property ain't cheap
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SCALAWAG wrote:Taylor county had to work with what they had and could afford at the time, it is better than nothing. coastal property ain't cheap
I guess if you don’t like it, don’t go
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

If someone does something dumb in front of you at the ramp, do what I do. Pray they have a flat so you can drive past them on the way home.

Wonder if I will have to answer for praying for something bad? 8)

I have, many many times, had people drive right past me, getting prepped to drop the boat as quickly as possible, back in to the ramp slot and start prepping their boat. THAT peeves me more than cutting in line on the load up. Either one is rude. Treat every one at the ramp like it is your banker and you owe them money! salute3
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Salty Gator wrote:Sounds like they really need an attendant, especially during scallop season
They have two attendants and a deputy there right now on the weekends.