Snapper Depth???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Price3275

Snapper Depth???

Post by Price3275 »

Good morning, I am coming down to Shell Point later today through 7/13. Can anyone that has been out in the past few days let me know how deep I need to be (most likely out of Carrabelle, but doesn't have to be) to have a chance at any red snapper? I've always inshore fished primarily and don't have much snapper experience. I will be bringing a fairly heavy 21 foot bay boat, so I can run out a decent distance on calmer days. Not looking for exact numbers, just some general info to get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
EddieJoe

Snapper Depth???

Post by EddieJoe »

Last Monday, June 25 I caught decent fish in 75’, in a 20’ cc. A local guide that I trust told me he was still catching them in state waters (50’) but he has some better numbers than I do.
IMO, if you are trying to stay closer I recommend the artificial reefs, like OAR Wakulla and/or the Franklin/Apalachicola Reefs, which are offshore 10-12 miles. Snapper like the added structure and hold on that longer, IMO, even in warmer water. Bring chum though, and use it. Live bait like pins or white bait caught with sabiki put on a fly line will also attract kings and cobia there.

Going to those spots during the week should be fine, and you will save a few miles of travel. You will need to trailer to Mashes Sands or Lanark for Oar Wakulla, and Apalachicola Ten Foot Hole ramp under the bridge for the other two reefs and go out Sikes Cut. It’s also possible to drop in Carrabelle for the Franklin and navigate via East Pass, but it might be longer.

If possible, stop on the way out and catch pins or white bait around the buoys or markers. Bring frozen Spanish sardines, LY, and squid, too. Snapper for their size have pretty small mouths, so a smaller, but stout 2X circle (4-5/0)is needed. Whole squid or bait with tail cut off for grouper, chunks of squid or white bait for snapper. Live bait will catch either, and usually the bigger fish.

EJ
Price3275

Re: Snapper Depth???

Post by Price3275 »

Thanks for the info! I'll do my best to use it and post up a report when I do.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Good luck!
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We very quickly filled a limit of 22-24” fish in about 60’, a few miles east of k tower today. We were prepared to go further, but didn’t need to. We put in at Mashe sands( not far from shell point) caught some pins that we ended up not needing for snapper, then ran to the spot. I hit he chum churn a few times and they were right behind the boat. We drifted unweighted pieces of cut Ly back in the slick and could watch them eat. Cool way to fish for them, hope this helps. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

I ended up trailering to Mexico Beach (longer drive than I thought, and I probably won't do it again) and fishing the carbodies... caught 1 ARS and 9 Beeliners. Also got into the gray triggerfish and had to move once. Was a good day. Thanks again for the advice.