Mullet - Hook and Line fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishwalton

Mullet - Hook and Line fishing

Post by fishwalton »

Have been a subscriber to 'big bend' for a long time and don't recall seeing much about mullet fishing. I'm over here in the Panhandle Choctawhatchee Bay area and do a good bit of mullet fishing with hook and line. It' s a hoot when they are biting. I bet this could easily be done anywhere in the Big Bend country as well. So sharing an article and video that may spark some interest.

https://www.waltonoutdoors.com/hook-and ... estuaries/
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Re: Mullet - Hook and Line fishing

Post by JeffB »

Thanks for posting that. Couple of friends and myself bait them up and fish for them on the St John's river south of Green Cove Springs.
That's lots of fun especially when they are full of row.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I'm the resident obsessive mullet catcher around here lol! When I discovered this forum years ago I wasn't an expert on it. I'm excited to say that that has changed since about last summer in hindsight (I wasn't going to go around saying it until I repeated the success of last summer which I did yippy lol). They fight like a Redfish really, but the best part is how they taste. I love me some mullet.

I'm not ripping on your game but I've found that the lengths people go to to catch mullet are often overkill. I've had the best success with chicken mash chum and whatever I happened to have that looked good as bait on a bream hook. I've used peas, corn, and worms.

And in water where they're flying around like missiles like the Wacissa, the inline spinner with a piece of worm on the end will con a few into biting. They look like they don't see it but keep tossing it out there and believe it or not 1 will shoot over to it and nail it like a bass.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went to Goose Pasture and even it was still black in most spots. I ended up with some good fat bream from downriver where not many people go but I scoped out the mullet first and I have a nasty little idea - drive a metal post into the ground and tie a rope so that the chum or salt block sits or hangs just above the grass in the water where all the mullet are (saw a ton...always do dark or clear). I've been hearing more and more about salt blocks which I happened to find a video of being used in another river where the water was whooshing pretty good. Obviously the salt would wash away eventually but it wouldn't seemingly desinegrate like chum would in that kind of water.
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

Champ, when I was a kid some fifty years ago. That's all we cared to catch was the mullet in the Wacissa. Back then there was no hydrilla, just a clean sandy bottom in most places. The cows would stand in the river and eat the aquatic grasses. They would drown in all the silt now. But earthworms and a gold spinner is what we used on zebco one reels.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

The Wacissa is in bad shape :( :( :( I can't even stand to look at the place above Welaunee Creek now. There and Goose are the only places I go.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

fishwalton I just noticed your username. I merely thought you'd just happened across that article and shared it but you obviously made it. That was me who responded to the YouTube video before you even posted here.

Crippledminnow I tried Goose Pasture again today and there weren't very many out there at all, and there were none at either the St Marks or the Aucilla bridges. I've grudgingly decided that they just don't swim up black freshwater. That would explain why there are never any at the Econfina or those few freshwater marsh creeks you can drive to out that way. A friend of a friend on FB told me today that they hadn't been around since the rain either up his way in Ga.

I wish I knew more about the lower Aucilla :smt012 :smt012 :smt012 That East River probably has loaded spots under these conditions too.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Had some luck on the Wacissa...I won't elaborate because you wouldn't believe me if I told you what happened lol! It's just 1 of those times that proves you might catch fish if you just get out there and try something...anything lol!