Let’s talk coolers

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Let’s talk coolers

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Okay, I’m in the market for a good fish cooler. I’ve been using a $50 Coleman or Igloo or something like that from Walmart, but it was pretty beefy for what it was and lasted almost a year before the lid ripped off. I tried to replace the hinges but the design of the lid makes it hard to do. So dropped back in Walmart the other day to buy the same one and couldn’t find it so ended up buying the basic igloo marine. Well that one lasted about two weeks before the handle ripped out of it yesterday when I picked it up with a full load of fish and scallops. I’m looking for light weight durability, don’t need it the be bear proof or hold ice for 14 days but it would be nice if it could take a moderate beating and could be stepped on. Also I’m lifting this thing from the boat to the truck to the cleaning table etc on pretty much a daily basis so I don’t want to throw my back out like I would with a yeti 65 or something. I’d like something simple to open and close, don’t need 14 latches and a combination to get into it. I’m not aware of a current cooler that fits this mold and their may not be but cost is not really an issue, I mean I’d rather not spend $400 but I will. I’ll probably just buy another cheap one, light weight and don’t have to worry about people stealing it. Advice, comments, opinions?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Let’s talk coolers

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Lifetime 55 from Walmart its about the same size as a yeti 65 and its only $97 but the ice retention is similar and its tough.
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

all the hinges on the cheaper coolers are crap you can buy the old igloo hinges and put on the cheaper coolers for day coolers or fish coolers,,thats what I did.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I have used an Igloo Marine and a Coleman Extreme Marine for a number of years and gotten good service. The Igloo Marine Ultra has stainless hinges which helps but still has a plastic handle. I have broken the handle but it took me years to do so. You can stand on it but I wouldn’t do it all day, every day.

I never have needed a rotomolded cooler but would get one if I did and the weight was worth it. IMO, it isn’t, and won’t be as long as I carry a full cooler in and out of my boat. Just way too heavy.

You are stuck. If you have to be able to stand on the cooler and rip handles off the ones you have the rotomolded versions are what you need for durability, but beware of weight. They are just too heavy for me.
Personally, I would buy the igloo marine ultra and get new handles now and then, if needed. But two guys can carry a full yeti out of the boat but it does take two. Or at least two of me.

Luck,
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I have had one of these on my boat for about 5-6 years

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collection ... oler-white

It has given me good service, but I must admit that I do not carry it in and out of the boat. That being said I can't attest to the handle strength.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Very frustrating problem. I bought two big igloos for my trip to Venice and ripped the handles off of both of them the first trip. I don't want a big Yeti because I lift mine in and out of the boat every trip. Personally I solved the problem by removing the Igloo handles and putting eye bolts in each side and running 2 feet of rope between them for handles. May not look pretty, but now I can move a fully loaded ice chest without having to spend a bunch of cash.
STMU

Post by STMU »

I've always used cheap coolers for fish. I have one from Academy right now that I paid 20 bucks for and it is going on 3 years. Igloo and Coleman have worked well too, but as others have mentioned the handles and hinges always break. I've tried swapping out hinges with stainless, but the screws still strip out eventually. I have now switched to using seatbelt straps, and they work great! I assume any piece of fabric will work, such as the winch strap on your trailer. You only need a few inches of it, and if you can find a piece laying around it works pretty well. I have tried screwing through the strap straight to the cooler, and that worked well for a year or so. Now, I use a couple of small bolts with a piece of aluminum or wide washers on the backside.

Personally, I don't care how ugly my fish cooler looks as long as it is full and functional!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The weight issue is the biggest drawback to the rotomolded style, not to mention the sticker shock. RTIC direct web sales is the most economical option in this category. But you do still have to be careful to avoid a hernia lifting a full one in and out of boat/truck.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Igloo Marine Ultra are lighter and cheaper. As others have mentioned, modifying one with rope handles (you can use vinyl tubing over the rope for more cushion) and stainless hinges will prolong the life span.

The best solution, albeit an expensive one, is a fiberglass cooler. I used an Engel EvaCool in my charter ops for years. Still have it. Rugged, not as heavy and repairable if a latch breaks, etc. Frigid Rigid makes some good ones but the prices make the Yeti-like seem a bargain.

For your daily charter needs, you might check in with a fiberglass shop to see if they can make one for you. Mike's Marine Ways in St. Marks or the outfitter in Perry might take on the project. Will cost a little more up front, but you'll have it for years.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rickc

Post by rickc »

well i used the igloo marine on my boat for years. usually got maybe 2 seasons out of one. went to bass pro to get me a new one and they had yettis on sale. the igloo marine was 160 and the yetti was 300. i said if i can get 4 seasons out of the yetti then its paid for. that was over 10 years ago and the yetti is stll going strong.

yes they are heavy, expensive and hold ice no better than an igloo extreme but they do last. i have gone through a lot of cheap coolers since for beach trips and camping and other things but my yetti boat cooler is hanging in there with no issues.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Good luck with your cooler search. I don't have a yeti but have seen how great they are at keeping stuff cold...but lordy are they heavy. I wouldn't be able to haul one by myself if it were fully loaded

I have an older igloo marine that the hinges died on really quick. I had some leather left over from something and cut those to size and screwed with some gorilla clue added to the screws to keep them in place, into the cooler. The leather has held very well. I have had to replace the handles but it's a nice enough cooler and with the leather hinges, it has lasted at least 7 years....we do sit on it but don't stand on it so can't attest to how good it is for that
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I keep an Engel 65 Roto Molded cooler in my boat. It's been in there for 6 or 7 years and it's been great.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

This is the cooler I have but the lid is ripped off, it was pretty good but I don’t even know what you call it other than Coleman. Screws stripping through the plastic is the biggest issue, not the handles or hinges themselves. Stainless bolts and washers are not a bad idea for handles but won’t work for lids. I know Yeti’s are super durable, but I have a 45 that I rarely use because of the weight. SK I’m not sure I know what you mean by fiberglass cooler, do you have a picture you could post?
Attachments
552CA4B4-F99C-4992-ABC2-EDAFA55978CB.jpeg
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Here are a couple screen shots of the Frigid Rigid, made in Southwest FL. Fiberglass shell sandwiched around insulated foam. The brand I have is an Engel Eva Kool, made in Australia. Don't think they're even available any more. Did have an Engel rotomolded on the Micro. Worked very well but hefty. Sold it with the skiff.

A glass shop should be able to fabricate a box with hinged lid. They may even have a fish box mold in stock that they could modify. If you go that route I'd have them add a drain on the side. Worth getting an estimate, anyway.
frigid-rigid-fog-cooler.jpg
frigid-rigid-ice-chests.png
frigid-rigid-ice-chests.png (117.5 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My wife won a 65 yeti that replaced my Igloo boat color. had $50 in tickets and it is now my boat cooler. I agree on hard to lift. I do like it though, but not sure I would have ever bought one as I almost always only need a day cooler. I even splurged on some sea dek for it.

One thing I have not seen mentioned it to replace the hinges, or really future proof them before you ever need to on the cheap coolers by using a cut open fire hose along the whole lid. My brother had a steady supply of out of service fire hose (prior to retiring) and it is the perfect long term hinge. Tough as nails and will last longer than the cooler. Depending on the lid, you can use hollow wall fasteners, screws, or if possible, through bolts.

I have several old coolers, still going strong with rope handles and fire hose hinges. They are ugly as heck, but they just won't break!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

My favorite I have is the Engel 65. I have Yeti, igloo marine, and coleman but I favor the Engel. It has better handles and latches than the yeti and the 65 Engel is about the same weight as the 45 yeti. A little heavy but not bad.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO