Loran

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lmmoore

Loran

Post by lmmoore »

Is there a program to accurately convert old loran numbers to GPS? Any feedback would be appreciated?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Loran

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

There is a tool from the usgs that does a good job for free
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Short answer is no. A number of years ago before LORAN was shut down if one had both a LORAN unit and a GPS you could run to a stored number on the LORAN, set it to give a Lat/Long, and then compare it to the GPS L/L reading. It was always different. The difference could then be used as an “offset” for that zone. But, this had to be repeated in many locations as the offset changed when you moved miles away. I did this for some of my old, “prized” LORAN numbers before the system was shut down. Even with this method, easily numbers were way off.

LORAN number to L/L conversion programs, IMO, might get you roughly in the neighborhood, that’s all. Could be 100s of yards, or more. Kind of useless, these days.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crazytazman

Post by Crazytazman »

I have the Simrad Go 9. It will convert loran to gps automatically. I'm still learning how to use it. Very detailed.
mirage2521

Post by mirage2521 »

https://andren.com/

Their software works great, very accurate and buying it once gets you lifetime updates.