Wide backwater between the Aucilla and Pinhook Cutoff

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Wide backwater between the Aucilla and Pinhook Cutoff

Post by BloodyChamp »

Has anybody ever caught anything at all over there? I obviously know about the Pinhook River but it seems like all that wide open water in between would have fish in it. All I ever hear about is people going through it without stopping to get to the Pinhook. According to Google Maps 1 of the creeks emptying into it has a name, Sulphur Creek.

I have to get out and do something different this week or I'm going to go crazy lol! If nothing else there should be some freshwater catfish which I'm suddenly in the mood for with all the rain.
bbb

Re: Wide backwater between the Aucilla and Pinhook Cutoff

Post by bbb »

Several years ago that was the only spot I knew to fish. Caught plenty of trout and reds in there.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Nice. I think I'm headed that way Thursday weather permitting.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went and gained illumination, which is the goal at this point since I'm not lower Pinhook expert and only a little better at flats fishing in general. I also gained a busted prop. Never again in an outboard lol!
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Lots of folks, like me, have torn lower ends off the motor down there. A busted prop is just the initiation.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

BloodyChamp wrote:I went and gained illumination, which is the goal at this point since I'm not lower Pinhook expert and only a little better at flats fishing in general. I also gained a busted prop. Never again in an outboard lol!
Welcome to the Aucilla. You're part of the family now. :beer: :-D
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

That place you are referring to was one of my Dad's favorite fishing spots at Aucilla. He called it "the ditch" because it has a narrow channel running through it. I don't try going in there unless it's close to high tide, very rocky and tricky to navigate. Good fishing in the winter, just watch the tides.
Yours in the South
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Are yall talking about the "cut" from the river over to the Pinhook? Or the water back toward land before you reach Pinhook?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went the back way through the tidal creek that will take you way more quickly to where the cutoff goes. I came back through the cutoff (the "cut") and busted the prop just outside of it towards the Pinhook. I basically made a circle back to Mandalay. The original plan was to do that successfully then go farther each time until I felt safe enough to go all the way. That won't be happening until I get a Tracker Grizzly with a mud motor down the road now or figure out a way to drive to the upper Pinhook (you can drive closer to it than you think already...maybe 1 day they will make a road to it or I'll find 1).

Dixiereb was talking about the actual mouth. I left out the worst part btw. Seriously, never again lol!