Bait selection in hot/dirty water

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsaunders

Bait selection in hot/dirty water

Post by jsaunders »

Thinking about taking the new (to me) boat down to Steinhatchee next weekend. I've heard all of the reports of the dark stained water. I know the water has to be pretty hot too. What kind of lures do you guys throw in these conditions? I would think something dark and/or flashy, with some rattle and vibration to it.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Bait selection in hot/dirty water

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU THINK RIGHT SSANDERS, I GENERALLY USE FLOATERS, LIGHT BLUE SILVER FLECK, SILVER FLECK, NOISY POPPER PLUGS, NATURAL COLOR PADDLE TAIL GRUBS WORKED VERY SLOWLY. THE LAST TIME I WENT, AABOUT A YEAR AGO, IS THE FIRST TIME I EVER WENT FISHING IN THE GULF AND NOT CATCH A SINGLE FISH, THINGS ARE CHANGING, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT. THE FISH CATCHING HAS BEEN VERY SLOW THIS SPRING AND SUMMER, MIGHT BE MORE COMMERCIAL BOATS SUCKING ALL THE FISH OF ANY KIND OUT OF THE WATER , GENERALLY THE ROCKS KEEP THE COMMERCIAL BOATS OUT AND AWAY FROM OUR AREA OF THE GULF, JUST DO NOT KNOW.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:YOU THINK RIGHT SSANDERS, I GENERALLY USE FLOATERS, LIGHT BLUE SILVER FLECK, SILVER FLECK, NOISY POPPER PLUGS, NATURAL COLOR PADDLE TAIL GRUBS WORKED VERY SLOWLY. THE LAST TIME I WENT, AABOUT A YEAR AGO, IS THE FIRST TIME I EVER WENT FISHING IN THE GULF AND NOT CATCH A SINGLE FISH, THINGS ARE CHANGING, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT. THE FISH CATCHING HAS BEEN VERY SLOW THIS SPRING AND SUMMER, MIGHT BE MORE COMMERCIAL BOATS SUCKING ALL THE FISH OF ANY KIND OUT OF THE WATER , GENERALLY THE ROCKS KEEP THE COMMERCIAL BOATS OUT AND AWAY FROM OUR AREA OF THE GULF, JUST DO NOT KNOW.
PA
SEMPER FI
Thanks for the advice sir!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

We hit the northern Steinhatchee area two weeks ago and threw just about everything we could think of at the trout. Got a few takers on glow colored soft bait on a lightly weighted hook, dead mullet chunk , and a shallow diving super shinny white and gold rattle with a red face. Everything else was a no go. They were following the hard bait to the boat, seemed like they wanted faster movement, but not sure.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I went out yesterday east of the lighthouse. It was HOT. The water was 89 degrees F. It was very dark, about two feet of visibility in the less turbid areas and near zero in the more turbid areas. Lots and lots of floating grass, which made it difficult to work any kind of lure.
I finally managed to find some Trout that were busting glass minnows in 5-8 feet of water. I tried many different lures and finally got them to hit a chatterbait retrieved just under the minnows at a slow to med slow speed. If I let it sink more than 2-3 feet before the retrieve it was no love. The lure needed to be within a foot of the minnows.
Other than that, I got three good blowups on topwater early at the creek mouths from what appeared to be redfish before the Porpoise moved in and shut them down before I could switch tactics.
It was better than working. :D