Floating Grass

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Williamsdad

Floating Grass

Post by Williamsdad »

Just confirming what may be obvious, based on the lack of boats fishing.

Floating grass to the east on morning high tide is ridiculous, hope it clears soon. Water is dirty and very stained.
rockyg

Re: Floating Grass

Post by rockyg »

Agree 100%. In years past I have blamed it on the 10,000 boats out there scalloping. This year its worse than ever and there has been limited scalloping at St. Marks. My little Gheenoe with a 25 is prone to grassing up even in normal conditions. Last Friday I could hardly stay on plane.

And the water is DARK.........DARK. Did I mention the water was bad dark. lol

And I got up at 4:30 AM to catch one 13" trout. That was not cool. :smt011
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
edif

Post by edif »

Its Shrimping Season Guys...just sayin
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

edif wrote:Its Shrimping Season Guys...just sayin
You'd never know that by the shrimp they're selling for bait, at 50% higher price. Glad I learned to fish without them when conditions permit.

Rocky, same for us, 1 just under 15, but she was way in where they're not supposed to be. Tough day for STAR entries!
rebel10

Post by rebel10 »

I went to SW on Saturday. Ran down to Dekle and searched hard for 50 scallops. Caught 1 18" trout on the way back to the ramp. Couldn't hardly fish for the floating grass. Anyone have an idea about when it usually clears out?
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

For the past few weeks I have fished from the St. Marks lighthouse, Shell Point, Bottoms Wakulla Beach, and Bottoms Rd and have noticed the water is still darker than normal, much more floating grass than usual, and the bite had been slow in inconsistent. It's pretty bad when you consider catching 2 cats, an undersized red, and a puffer fish a good day. I also am fishing the Star tournament and my entries the past few weeks have been pitiful.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Don't give up on the STAR Tournament guys......one tagged red can put you in "high cotton". :smt007
― John Dutton
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Not sure why y'all are having so many issues? 10 flounder to 18" and probably a dozen reds, 18 - 29" on Saturday. No trout
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
cotton

Post by cotton »

FishWithChris wrote:Not sure why y'all are having so many issues? 10 flounder to 18" and probably a dozen reds, 18 - 29" on Saturday. No trout
Do tell where did you find 10 flounder? Surely further west than most folks here fish.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I believe he is West coast unless I’m mistaken. Different area so it’s not an apples to apples comparison.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

BillytheKid wrote:I believe he is West coast unless I’m mistaken. Different area so it’s not an apples to apples comparison.
He is local
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I stand corrected, I confused him with a different guide.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

BillytheKid wrote:I stand corrected, I confused him with a different guide.
He’s not a guide either
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

:lol:

I'm just a guy that likes to fish with his buddies and stir the pot a bit! Some days are good, some days are great... Often some days are questionable. You just have to be willing to move and take those long rides.

Also, 90% of the time we (Jeff, George, Jimmy, myself) launch either at fort or lighthouse, pending time of year of course.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I'm almost willing to call BS on your big haul of reds and flounder last weekend based on my last two trips out of the lighthouse. If you did that well I applaud you.
― John Dutton