Floating Grass

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Re: Floating Grass

Post by BloodyChamp »

Are you going to grill those Flounder? I've never seen them cleaned like that but it looks better than my way.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Fished shell point for a few hours just before dark yesterday and did better than the past several trips there. A lot less floating grass and the fish were biting better. Unfortunately the catfish were very active and hitting everything I threw out including fast moving jigheads with a smoke minnow.
rebel10

Post by rebel10 »

FishWithChris wrote:
rebel10 wrote:What did you catch those flatties on?
Confidence.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Doucher
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

rebel10 wrote:
FishWithChris wrote:
rebel10 wrote:What did you catch those flatties on?
Confidence.

Doucher
Not sure I've heard of that brand of lures? I did a quick google search and think you may have misspelled them? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A mix of live finger mullet on bottom rigs, on jigs, and of course artificials (zman) jigs and weedless.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I have yet to catch a flounder out of St Marks.

Caught a couple in the Ocklocknee bay but must be the way I fish.
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

I usually bake them whole or pan fry if small enough. I rarely fillet flounder.

Been slapping the reds good lately. Using mix of live bait and the new doucher 2.0 topwater!
Attachments
20180822_183145.jpg
20180823_190037.jpg
20180823_190358.jpg
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

BloodyChamp wrote:Are you going to grill those Flounder? I've never seen them cleaned like that but it looks better than my way.
I stuff them with crabcake and bake them. I do like them fried, but dang they are good stuffed.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I'm not the squeamish type when it comes to fish but something about that white bare bottom of a flounder isn't something I like to mess with lol! So I always fillet them around that even though it's aggravating as heck. I always screw 1 up.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

For years I did not keep flounder because I was intimidated about cleaning them. I was finally instructed on this way to clean them( https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... #kpvalbx=1 ) and now I do not toss them back.
Yum, :lick:
geofish

Post by geofish »

A month or two ago I caught some nice flounder off the bottom at Rotary reef. My buddy did a masterful job fileting his, but I was intimidated by fileting them. Still, I didn't want eyes looking up at me from my plate.
So I watched some Youtube videos, and here's a plan that worked.
1. Use a wire brush to scale the flounder (both sides). Easy peezy.
2. Cut the head off and strip the guts out.
3. Use a shears or heavy scissors to trim the fins and tail (so it fits in the baking dish)
4. Rinse with water, then lemon juice or orange juice, and then either
a) bake (cut three gashes through the skin, dark side up, drizzle in lemon and garlic butter) OR
b) slice a pocket and stuff with crab meat stuffing -- then bake.
Super easy, and cooking with the skin adds flavor to one of my favorite fish to eat. Pix below
Just need a little peach-mango salsa on those plates for cosmic culinary perfection!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Excellent
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

BloodyChamp wrote:I'm not the squeamish type when it comes to fish but something about that white bare bottom of a flounder isn't something I like to mess with lol! So I always fillet them around that even though it's aggravating as heck. I always screw 1 up.
That white meat is delicious. I hate bone in fish - I enjoy a filet way more. But flounder are like catfish to me, to easy to just pick around the large bones! But I tend to want the smaller ones anyways - I would gladly trade 2 14" fish for one 28" fish.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?