Red Tide

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grasshopper

Red Tide

Post by grasshopper »

Seems it is in Bay County and spreading east. Praying it doesn't make it to Franklin and Wakulla.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Red Tide

Post by Salty Gator »

Terrible news
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I thought it was spreading from central Fl up this way. I heard the report that it was in Bay county but I fished the bay today and didn't see any sign of it so far. No dead fish at all but red tide is a good excuse for catching only 3 keeper trout and one snapper. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

See this thread from the FS Forums. Not good.

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/dis ... psj#latest
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Friend in Destin was working at the beach yesterday and said he could smell it. Bad enough to cause a throat irritation.

We need some cool weather fast to kill it off.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

My parents were at seagrove beach last week. They said there were dead fish and eels on the beach. It affected my father’s respiratory system so much they ended up having to leave early on Saturday.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Doesn't make sense, Sunday SGI was as pretty as I've seen in years! Gin Clear,
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Red Tide is like fire, not good but not necessarily the end of the world. That toxic algae is like gas...and the 2 seemingly have mixed.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Williamsdad wrote:Doesn't make sense, Sunday SGI was as pretty as I've seen in years! Gin Clear,
Red tide (k brevis ) thrives in clear water
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Thanks David, never would have guessed that.
wavebuster

Post by wavebuster »

I trolled for kings out of Mexico Beach area last Friday. Dead fish everywhere we fished on the buoy line and 3 miles out from the buoy line. Didn't see any large dead fish. Saw no bait fish and did not have a strike.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sucks to hear, Thanks for posting wb
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Can anybody speak to whether or not ANY fish kills have been noted INSIDE of the bay versus just outside it? Reason I ask is friend / forum member Sharkman who now lives near Tampa is targeting a trip out of the St. Marks area this coming week. Think he was wanting to fish inshore and close offshore (20' to 30' depths).

I've only seen reference to noted fish kills out of St. Joe and Mexico Beach area so not sure whether ANY fish kills inside the bay have yet occurred. Promised him I'd try to find out for him so he could decide whether or not to make the drive up.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

No reports of red tide east of St. Joe that I've heard of. Here's the latest status from FWC. Commission did close scallop season early in SJB because of lingering effects.

http://myfwc.com/REDTIDESTATUS

I fished Lanark/Dog Island/St. George Sound last week and did not see any dead fish or signs of red tide. Haven't fished St. Marks for awhile. Salty Gator and Tailwaters did this past Sunday so maybe one of them can comment on Apalachee Bay.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

There were fish at Panacea on Monday, and I didn't see any dead ones. Water a little stained but looked good.
Yours in the South