st marks this weekend

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Swampcreek

st marks this weekend

Post by Swampcreek »

St Marks is having the reopening of the light house. My brother was one of the carpenters on the project. They redid the floors, and fixed the stairs going up. It looks really nice inside. There is probably going to be a crowd down there.

But how is the fishing? We are thinking of heading out of live oak and fishing on the way to and from. Tide does not look too sporty, or the wind. I have not seen any one post any action in a while. Still too hot? Grassy? Might end up just watching the sunset if fishing is a no go
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: st marks this weekend

Post by Salty Gator »

We fished to the east of the lighthouse on sunday. Only one trout for the morning. Didn’t see a red. Did see some bait and mullet. Water was still turbid like yoohoo. Couldn’t see the bottom in 1.5’. We keep telling ourselves it has to turn on, but hasn’t yet. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Wit ya SG, keep thinking this has to be the week it changes back, every week now for a month.

Switched up and tried Carabelle last Sunday, got washed out, never even wet a line until back in Alligator Harbor, Luc got 1 20" trout, no other sniffs.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Well, I'm certainly taking another run at it this weekend.
Might try to run out to Ochlocknee Shoals.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

I guess we are geared up and going. I don't think we will catch much but it's gonna be a day of riding. I've never made the trip from the island so we'll see.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Fished oyster bar last Sat. Son lost a slot red at the boat. Lots of grass and stained water. Took a ride up the river to St Marks. Large loose vegetation floating down river told me will be some time before things clear up. I only got a couple of pulls on the long rod which I had long line releases. Good luck.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Tried St Marks Refuge on 9/26. Yuchhh. All my favorite creeks are still muddy & filled with gar (never a promising omen). I got blanked, except for a few cast net mullet. Mullet are almost always reliable down there.

Will keep trying, and report when I finally find reds/trout again around Stoney Bayou or creeks east of the lighthouse.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Went to SMNWR for a coupla hours Sunday 9/30. Not great results (3 underslot reds), but the water clarity in Refuge creeks is improving. If we get 3-4 days in a row w/o much rain, should be back to near normal for this time of year.
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

Well we got skunked. No water at the island till after 3. Got out around 4:30 and fished the long bar and spring creek entrance. Live mud minnows, gulps, and a top popper. Three catfish and a 3" trout. Water was muddy and warm. So we enjoyed the sunset and got back and cooked a delicious jam packed seafood paella.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I think the fish are out deeper. They don't care much for warm water and it's usually clearer further out. Glad you got to go out anyway.
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Haven't been to St. Marks fishing in awhile due to travel/water clarity. I have fished Lanark the last two weeks, however. Water temps ranged from mid-80s to 90 degrees around the barrier islands. Water clarity was improving the week before last but was the shade of ice tea on Friday. It didn't matter. The fish can tell the time of year by the amount of daylight and are aggressive. I caught multiple trout and some reds up to 4 pounds on top water, in depths less than three feet deep. More reds on Aqua Dream spoons and DOA shrimp. There is a ton of bait around too.

Bad storm and heavy rain on the SE side of Tally last night. Didn't check the St. Marks radar, but based on my recent trips west the fish are feeding despite the lingering heat and stained water.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Rock Garden is still a dead zone - hard head.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I went Sunday in spite of the bad reports. Caught bait fairly easily and headed to our spot. 2 stingrays for our trouble and not another bite. Nice day, but we had been catching some reds the last few trips (not many, but a few). I only wanted a couple, but no joy. We did not have long to fish, so we called it a day.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

This was from my couple of trips last weekend out of St Marks. In some places I could see bottom in 4 feet of water. You might want to change up your tactics, the calendar my read October but the weather pattern is still telling the fish summer.
Attachments
92A395C8-F3B3-4BD9-81ED-BF4C1AA6F034.jpeg
11D5C0CC-9945-46F5-97C2-A98EE21ACEB1.jpeg
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Wow!

Popping corks?
All photos copyright @saverymill