Suggestions for St Marks this weekend

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Remodeler30

Suggestions for St Marks this weekend

Post by Remodeler30 »

Just found out about this forum.

Haven't been fishing for a couple months.

We plan to leave from the light house early.

Don't expect a specific spot, but how about a suggestion for a water depth which might be better? 6-8' deeper than 10'?

i'm not very experienced fisherman, but taking up a new hobby in your 60's will do that.

thanks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Suggestions for St Marks this weekend

Post by Salty Gator »

Welcome aboard. The fishing on the east flats have been uncharacteristicly bad this summer. Not sure why, but it’s been slow for us and a few other good fishermen I know. Plenty of mullet and bait. Lots of fresh tannic water, but it seems to me we have that every summer. We haven’t had a hurricane or ts yet this year. We’re fishing for reds, but noticed the trout bite is a little slow also. We’re usually fishing right to the shore line or rickpiles so usually I’m less than 3 feet. I would suggest moving around and trying different areas and depths, be careful for rocks. The oyster bars in the mouth of the rivers and the west flats are worth a look if you strike out on the east side. Good luck post up a report :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
geofish

Post by geofish »

If the east flats aren't working, the southern tip of the bar south of Shell Point last weekend was very active with mackerel tearing up schools of baitfish, and very eager to hit spoons, gulps, plugs or cut bait. But I'm betting that the slightly cooling temperatures and slightly clearing water will wake up the trout on the east flats this weekend. At least I hope so!
Try areas with mixed grass and sand, and look for a drift that takes you across a range of depths until you find 'em.
Happy hunting!
bbb

Post by bbb »

Try out near the stake line in 5-8ft of water. Heard that White trout are out there with some specks mixed in.