Passive-Aggressive in St Marks Refuge

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

J Holden

Re: Passive-Aggressive in St Marks Refuge

Post by J Holden »

I winged a 4 ounce swimbait into the side of a bass boat in the St Marks River that ran within 15-20 yards me (while I was in a KAYAK no less) at about 30 mph and almost swamped me. Made a satisfying "THWACK!" you could hear for a hundred yards and most definitely took off some clear coat.

I was aiming for the driver though.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

J Holden wrote:I winged a 4 ounce swimbait into the side of a bass boat in the St Marks River that ran within 15-20 yards me (while I was in a KAYAK no less) at about 30 mph and almost swamped me. Made a satisfying "THWACK!" you could hear for a hundred yards and most definitely took off some clear coat.

Sounds like you and I would get along just fine!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

J Holden wrote:I winged a 4 ounce swimbait into the side of a bass boat in the St Marks River that ran within 15-20 yards me (while I was in a KAYAK no less) at about 30 mph and almost swamped me. Made a satisfying "THWACK!" you could hear for a hundred yards and most definitely took off some clear coat.

Since you said he was running about 30 mph, you would think by the time his wake "almost sank" you he would be far out of casting range of a 4 oz bait. Consider yourself lucky he didn't hear the "THWACK" cuz a bass boat will win a battle with a kayak any day of the week. :hammer:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Juan wrote:

Since you said he was running about 30 mph, you would think by the time his wake "almost sank" you he would be far out of casting range of a 4 oz bait. Consider yourself lucky he didn't hear the "THWACK" cuz a bass boat will win a battle with a kayak any day of the week. :hammer:
There's these things called "eyes" that let you see things coming 8) I chucked as he passed, not as the wake hit.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

J Holden wrote:
Juan wrote:

There's these things called "eyes" that let you see things coming 8) I chucked as he passed, not as the wake hit.
So you threw a lure at a boat you thought might wake you? That is probably considered assault . I’m seriously glad it wasn’t me. There would be jail time for at least one of us. But you would loose your rod, reel and plastic boat, especially if I was running in the channel. Most of that river has heavy traffic and kayakers need to know to stay out of the channel, unless they are ok wth boat traffic. Do you think those commercial crab boats coming out of the river are going to come off plane for a yak? Be smart
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Just read this whole thread, gotta laugh, it's got a little of everything.

We've all been there (someone getting too close). And most of us probably offended someone else who thought we were too close and we had no idea. What's interesting is finding out what that exact "OK" distance is, and just where exactly is it not OK, where stink-eyes are given, shrugs are made, shouts, and even pistols drawn. Everyone has a different idea of what that distance is and how it might vary given different situations.

Well here's how I approach the situation. In my little 15' jonboat I keep a short pvc tube, a lighter, and a handful of little bottle rockets, the ones that pop at the end. Whatever their range is, in my humble opinion, it's about the distance that most everyone would agree is within the Apalachee Bay fishing Captain's Circle of Privacy. In other words, if you're in range of these little bottle rockets, you're too close.

OK well I've never actually had the gumption to shoot any off at anyone, even those who deserved it. (There's nuts out there--someone might draw a pistol, you know.) The only people I've fired them at are people I know, and it's all in fun.
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

Ain't experienced or even read here yet anything that comes close to S Tampa and Sarasota Bay sheenanagans....for those into throwing things at other boats, few years back couple kids were running around the bay shooting water balloons at other boaters...heck how could a water balloon hurt anybody? They were charged with launching deadly projectiles. Don't argue with me, argue in court and cry over the money you'll spend :)
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

J Holden wrote:I winged a 4 ounce swimbait into the side of a bass boat in the St Marks River
I'm curious and have to ask: What's a 4 ounce swimbait look like? I don't think I've seen one that size. That thing must have been the size of a mackerel. Other than bass boats, what were you fishing for? :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Just for clarification, if you go way back to my original post, please note:

I was not camped in a creek mouth, blocking it. I was on a creek bend, casting into the hole. Lots of room to go around/past me to three other bends/holes in this fairly small creek.

More significantly, the boat was NOT attempting to go through, past, or around my spot. It motored up to the edge of the hole I was fishing, clankily dropped anchor, and the guys started casting almost over my line.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote:Just for clarification, if you go way back to my original post, please note:

I was not camped in a creek mouth, blocking it. I was on a creek bend, casting into the hole. Lots of room to go around/past me to three other bends/holes in this fairly small creek.

More significantly, the boat was NOT attempting to go through, past, or around my spot. It motored up to the edge of the hole I was fishing, clankily dropped anchor, and the guys started casting almost over my line.
This thread morphed. You have great etiquette
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven