Passive-Aggressive in St Marks Refuge

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Passive-Aggressive in St Marks Refuge

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Nm
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

There are two sides to this. A couple of years ago, I ran up a creek to fish and as the tide was falling, I came out. To get over one of the bars, you had to hit it on plane. I did and as I crossed the bar, there was a boat that had come into the creek after me. After crossing the bar, I got off plane and putted out. When I looked back, one of the guys was giving me an economy hand wave ... he didn't use 4 fingers. I laughed at his ignorant behind. But if you think fishing in crowded areas are bad, just start duck hunting.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Never said or suggested any of the asinine ideas you guys quoting me, suggested. Such condescension from the holier than thou crowd. Guess I didn't make clear, there are two different deep troughs that lead into this creek, and the boat could have easily gone behind where I was casting OR EASILY gone farther from my boat... There was plenty of room for them to stay at least 150-175' from me. There was a couple of teenagers who did went behind me and didn't disturb me or the other boat farther up into the creek. I thought this was about the PROXIMITY or how close people get. There's a polite and correct way to do things and then there's whatever the rude crowd sees fit... Now I know what side a couple on this site fall into.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sun Daze wrote:Never said or suggested any of the asinine ideas you guys quoting me, suggested. Such condescension from the holier than thou crowd. Guess I didn't make clear, there are two different deep troughs that lead into this creek, and the boat could have easily gone behind where I was casting OR EASILY gone farther from my boat... There was plenty of room for them to stay at least 150-175' from me. There was a couple of teenagers who did went behind me and didn't disturb me or the other boat farther up into the creek. I thought this was about the PROXIMITY or how close people get. There's a polite and correct way to do things and then there's whatever the rude crowd sees fit... Now I know what side a couple on this site fall into.
I wasn’t singling yuo out, just asking a question for conversations sake, because you brought it up. I started another thread about it, so Garys thread wouldn’t get more hijacked. Please read it and give your opinion, I am curious how others handle it. I don’t think anyone was quoting you at all, it is the direction the thread took ( by me as much as anyone by asking the question). Didn’t mean to imply you were doing anything wrong or rude, that’s why I asked. No hard feelings.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Just a couple observations:
1st.. If you're anchored in the mouth of a creek you should probably pick up and move out of the way when you see a boat headed in your direction.. They may not know that there's a safe way around you and would stay in the center of the creek channel. Even if you didn't move away as a courtesy, they should slow to a crawl when going by.

2nd.. If I were unfamiliar with a creek I intended to fish and someone was anchored in the mouth, I might give them a dirty look too thinking they were sitting in the navigation channel. Dirty looks and smart azz comments may be rude but they aren't illegal. Chunking a lure at a them is and only escalates the problem.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Juan wrote:Just a couple observations:
1st.. If you're anchored in the mouth of a creek you should probably pick up and move out of the way when you see a boat headed in your direction.. They may not know that there's a safe way around you and would stay in the center of the creek channel. Even if you didn't move away as a courtesy, they should slow to a crawl when going by.

2nd.. If I were unfamiliar with a creek I intended to fish and someone was anchored in the mouth, I might give them a dirty look too thinking they were sitting in the navigation channel. Dirty looks and smart azz comments may be rude but they aren't illegal. Chunking a lure at a them is and only escalates the problem.

how do you know if you are in the navigation channel? I never see the navigation channel markers in the creek mouths I fish.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Juan wrote:Just a couple observations:

1st, the creek was 5-600 feet wide with several deeper troughs to access... There was plenty of room for the guy to not motor within 40-50' of my boat. I guess you missed where I described two TEENAGE boys who had enough common sense and etiquette to go behind me and far enough away to show some respect. Telling me to get the F over over after berating me for their rude behavior, I chunked the lure OVER their boat to show that you don't come within casting distance of another boat. As for moving? If i was in the navigable part of the creek, possibly or I'd expect to have this happen.

2nd, if unfamiliar with a creek and how to get in and out, you might rethink your plan to scout that creek that day as there was another boat up that creek and the teenagers had moved into an adjacent creek by this time. Scouting an area where there are others already isn't a good idea in my opinion. But chunking a lure OVER their boat is not illegal, and believe me, had I wanted to nail the loudmouth I could have. Please refer to my original post where I clearly stated "I then took the gold spoon I was using and cast it directly at them, over the boat and the line caught the driver". I had no intention of hitting anyone with the lure, as close as they were, it would have been VERY easy.

I guess rude behavior is the norm in most aspects of life today and people with manners and respect like me just need to suck it up and acquiesce to the degenerates. Don't stand up for yourself or what is right or wrong...
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

MIAcanes44 wrote: how do you know if you are in the navigation channel? I never see the navigation channel markers in the creek mouths I fish.
I'm sure there are plenty of creek channels that aren't marked at all but the majority I fish either have the standard red and green navigation markers, poles or even PVC pipe indicating where the channel lies.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Sun Daze wrote:Never said or suggested any of the asinine ideas you guys quoting me, suggested. Such condescension from the holier than thou crowd. Guess I didn't make clear, there are two different deep troughs that lead into this creek, and the boat could have easily gone behind where I was casting OR EASILY gone farther from my boat... There was plenty of room for them to stay at least 150-175' from me. There was a couple of teenagers who did went behind me and didn't disturb me or the other boat farther up into the creek. I thought this was about the PROXIMITY or how close people get. There's a polite and correct way to do things and then there's whatever the rude crowd sees fit... Now I know what side a couple on this site fall into.
You seem like a nice guy :lol: .

I didn't read anything aggressive up till this so my guess is you had it coming either way.
4reels

Post by 4reels »

I’ll be guarding my creekmouth

LOL
medicunderfire

Post by medicunderfire »

So I guess my question as a somewhat new comer (less than 5 years) to the big bend area is how do I get past you? normally if I need to get past someone and I'm going to come closer than 1.5 cast lengths i'll just go ahead and put my trolling motor down and ease past if there is no other way? is this going to get stuff thrown at me? obviously I avoid people when I can but if someone is at the mouth of a creek I'm trying to come out of there isn't really a way around getting close to someone fishing.
thanks
Robalo 246 Cayman 300 Yam
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

My suggestion would be to pole, troll or idle, in that order, past the anchored boat allowing as much of a buffer as possible without risking damage to your boat. Keep it quiet, friendly and courteous and move on to your next spot.

The Golden Rule--treat others as you would like to be treated--is my guiding principle when it comes to fishing/boating etiquette.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

medicunderfire wrote:So I guess my question as a somewhat new comer (less than 5 years) to the big bend area is how do I get past you? normally if I need to get past someone and I'm going to come closer than 1.5 cast lengths i'll just go ahead and put my trolling motor down and ease past if there is no other way? is this going to get stuff thrown at me? obviously I avoid people when I can but if someone is at the mouth of a creek I'm trying to come out of there isn't really a way around getting close to someone fishing.
thanks

As long as some common courtesy is used, nothing will be cast in your direction. If there's not enough room to get by without coming that close, you'll NEVER hear a peep from me. If there is and you get that close, you'll get the WTF look and the :smt102 :smt102 from me. I guess soem of you guys missed the part where the passenger in the boat was being a belligerent peckerwood over my shrugging and holding my arms out to my side... I never spoke a word to them until he started cussing me and telling me to get the F over it... You want to be rude and belligerent, I will be the same way back....
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

procraftwes wrote:
You seem like a nice guy :lol: .

I didn't read anything aggressive up till this so my guess is you had it coming either way.
I really am a nice guy. What I'm not is someone who tolerates rude or disrespectful behavior, regardless where it is encountered. As for the aggressive part, I'm not sure what in the quoted post was aggressive, but to each his own. I don't feel it to be aggressive to cast the lure OVER their boat to prove a point. Had I started reeling the lure in trying to hook someone, that would be considered aggressive, but I did not. I've already stated, I had the bail open on the reel to avoid anyone getting hooked. Now if you feel I had it coming to be threatened to be shot, which was in my original post, you have serious issues and should seek help!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Throwing the line over his boat was aggressive. You were sending him a message. Up to you to decide if he had it coming and the possible ramifications of making such a decision. You were there and it was your call to make.

I usually decide it is highly unlikely I am going to teach someone something that their Momma and Daddy did not. I have gone over and had friendly chats with folks about their rude behavior, both fishing and duck hunting. I have also got my back up and done things to prove a point.

I had some yahoos pull up to a dock I was fishing, that probably 90% of us know to check. When we see a boat on it, we move on and check back later. they decided they would fish the west side of the little dock as we were anchored and casting from the east. I said "really?" as they pulled up. They just anchored and started pitching to the same pilings we were, but from the other side. I just deliberately hooked a piling. Pulled my boat up to it under power and did a few laps through the pilings, swirling up the water real well and drove away grinning. Again though, that was an aggressive move on my part and I was willing to deal with the consequences. My decision.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?