Creek mouth fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SoberAngler

Re: Creek mouth fishing

Post by SoberAngler »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
SoberAngler wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:...Now a kakyer deciding to paddle down the main channel of the steinhatchee river deserves to be swamped...
A kayaker in the main channel of the Steinhatchee River is "asking for trouble" and should know better. But bear in mind some are newbies: over time I've seen some boaters (I assume they're newbies) do some dumb stuff, at boat ramps and on the water.

That said (and please correct me if I'm wrong), isn't the main channel of the Steinhatchee posted as "No Wake"? Motoring at a speed great enough to swamp a kayer would be illegal.

Folks on the water who put themselves in illogical places can be annoying- but no one deserves to be swamped.
I've seen a group of kayaks paddling down the main river channel past the safe operation sign, they deserved to be swamped, but weren't, they were just cussed even though they never figured out to get out of the way.

Regretfully,...

"Common sense is not so common."
- Voltaire

That said, no one deserves to be swamped. Swamping can cause problems, up to and including loss of life (drowning).

Who is in such a hurry that, despite the annoyance caused by others, thinks "they deserved to be swamped"? IMO, such an attitude is asinine.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

A group of kayaks 6 wide taking up the whole channel near shoals deserves to be swamped if they are too dumb to figure out that other boats need the channel too
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:A group of kayaks 6 wide taking up the whole channel near shoals deserves to be swamped if they are too dumb to figure out that other boats need the channel too
Regardless of the circumstances, by law the operator is responsible for his vessel's wake and any damage or personal injury it may cause.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

By law it is illegal to operate a vessel in a manner to interfere with safe navigation, padding kayaks down the channel would fall into that category.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:By law it is illegal to operate a vessel in a manner to interfere with safe navigation, padding kayaks down the channel would fall into that category.
That’s a stretch
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Salty Gator wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:By law it is illegal to operate a vessel in a manner to interfere with safe navigation, padding kayaks down the channel would fall into that category.
That’s a stretch
5 wide across the channel?
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
That’s a stretch
First it was "6 wide", now it's "5 wide".
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

xxxxx
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

SoberAngler wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
That’s a stretch

Either or, I'll just refer to them as the group of Yankee idiots for clarity in the future
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

The kayaks are in the channel (perhaps they could/should be elsewhere so as not to impede any motorized vessels).

The boat is in the channel. I'm assuming the depth of the channel is adequate enough for the boat to navigate at a reduced rate of speed.

So,...as the boater sees and approaches the kayaks...can't the boat slow, blow an air horn, signal the kayakers to give way by moving their yaks into more shallow water on either side of the channel?

Rudely waking or even swamping the kayakers is NOT the answer.
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
SoberAngler wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
That’s a stretch

Either or, I'll just refer to them as the group of Yankee idiots for clarity in the future
Are you sure they were "Yankee idiots"? Maybe the reckless airboats with drunks aboard I encounter in the creeks and marshes are also "Yankee idiots".
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

SoberAngler wrote:The kayaks are in the channel (perhaps they could/should be elsewhere so as not to impede any motorized vessels).

The boat is in the channel. I'm assuming the depth of the channel is adequate enough for the boat to navigate at a reduced rate of speed.

So,...as the boater sees and approaches the kayaks...can't the boat slow, blow an air horn, signal the kayakers to give way by moving their yaks into more shallow water on either side of the channel?

They were from new York, hence my naming of them, apparently you've never fished steinhatchee, there is plenty of room for kayaks to stay out of the channel, the jonboats do it with ease. Those people are the same people that hold traffic up in the mountains gawking and don't use the pull offs.
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
SoberAngler wrote:The kayaks are in the channel (perhaps they could/should be elsewhere so as not to impede any motorized vessels).

They were from new York, hence my naming of them, apparently you've never fished steinhatchee, there is plenty of room for kayaks to stay out of the channel, the jonboats do it with ease. Those people are the same people that hold traffic up in the mountains gawking and don't use the pull offs.
I don't fish from a kayak in the Steinhatchee River. I routinely fish from a kayak to the north of the river at Hagens Cove or Dallus Creek and to the south of the river in Pine Log, Rocky, Sink and Cow Creeks.

Just wondering...if you intentionally swamp a kayaker do you stop to help them?
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Sober dude you have made 27 posts on here and it seems like most of them are either a criticism/argument with someone or some nugget of wisdom for us dumb ole boys on here. Isn't there another forum somewhere in need of your expertise? Give it a rest. :hammer:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

Thanks for the advice.