Steinhatchee first timer questions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Swampcreek

Steinhatchee first timer questions

Post by Swampcreek »

We're heading over for thanksgiving week and going to have a lot of kids to take fishing. Is there anything to worry about? Rocks and such. I'm used to st marks and econfina. I'll be in a 8' wide skiff. Also any pointers on getting these kids a fish or two would be great. I've never been in this area before. I figured by then, the fish might be in the creek, or the mouths of the creeks. Maybe I wont have to burn a tank of gas to catch one. We also have a dock to fish from, if the fish have started coming into the creek that is.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee first timer questions

Post by Steve Stinson »

Based on my experience, there is more rocks to the South of the river entrance than to the North. You can run out of the river and past the shallow bar / spoil islands on the right (North). Keep going out to the last few markers then make a large u-turn and head back toward the East / Northeast. Those flats in that area will hold trout. Also, heading to the North from the river entrance you should see Dallus Creek on your map. The area around there is good too.

There are other areas to the South of the river entrance that are great, but they are also rocky. Look for clean water, then move shallow or deeper until you find the depth that is holding the trout.

- Steve Stinson
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Something that's worked for me in the past when i'm trying a new area.

Launch the boat and tie up out of the way, When someone launches ask them if they're heading to the flats if they mind if you follow them and make sure to explain you're just looking to get to the flats and have no plans on crowding them/stealing a spot.

Hasn't failed me so far and i've gotten some insider info on specific hazards more than a few times.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice in theory, until you get behind another newbie who runs right through an aquatic mine field. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

Inquire at Sea Hag Marina. The folks there are friendly and helpful.
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

Search the internet for Tommy Thompson, Steinhatchee, www.naturalnorthflorida.com

Mr. Tommy has probably already forgotten more about the Steinhatchee area than most could ever hope to learn.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Definitely more rocks South than North, seahag has marker numbers listed on their website that gives an idea where you can turn out of the channel and be safe.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I haven't hit any rocks north of the river (yet) but there are some oyster beds in the shallow areas including around Dallus Creek, my rule of thumb is once I'm in 4' or less I'm usually off plane and idling or on the TM YMMV depending on your draft, don't be fooled by the guys running on plane up shallow they are probably 50 year locals who carved a ditch out over the years :lol:. There are plenty of rocks south of the river and note the name Rocky Creek is very accurate, both my friend and I lost props & shafts on the flats in that area when learning the area. There are rocks there out on the flats too and in some cases some rather large slabs of rock.

Have not heard of a lot of trout being caught recently and with the temp drops this week they will likely be heading to the creeks and maybe the river. Haven't been but we had several very hard rains in the past week or so and they crossed the coast around Steinhatchee so water may still be murky. There is most charts should show a channel near Pepperfish that may hold some specks or sand trout if they are in transition and it is relatively easy to access.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

Two boats struck out today. Not even a bite. It is really shallow out there. I found alot of one and two foot water. There wasnt any action to be found. Maybe better luck tomorrow.