Dog Island this weekend

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jenks30fb

Dog Island this weekend

Post by Jenks30fb »

Are there any reports for Dog Island lately? Between weather and family, I haven’t had a chance to go out for 6 weeks. Plan on launching from Lanark Saturday AM, catching bait, then try to head out to 50’. This is my first year fishing the area and I am not sure I need to hit 50’ for grouper or if they’ve moved in shallower by now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Calling for 2-3 seas, so I’m not sure if I’ll brave it in a 21 CC or not. Thanks!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Dog Island this weekend

Post by Salty Gator »

Good luck, post up a report
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Dog Island this weekend

Post by bbb »

We always fished around 45-50ft. We catch about 10-15 shorts for every keeper. Haven’t been yet this year though so I don’t know where they are currently.

Take lots of pinfish out there and I’m sure you will find some.

According to the windfinder app, the afternoons may be a little more calm.
Jenks30fb

Post by Jenks30fb »

Thanks for the info. I did decent in 50’ this summer on 23-3/4” gags. I’m hoping some of the better fish have moved in. Seas are down to 1-2 now so it looks like I’m gonna give it a shot. I’m hoping the pinfish are still on the grass. I’ll post my findings.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Better take some frozen bait and bucktail or butterfly jigs as a backup. When I was on the flats last week the pinfish were scarce and water temps have dropped since. Buddy reported the same scenario around Lanark.

Good luck. Hope you have a successful day.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Jenks30fb

Post by Jenks30fb »

What’s the best frozen bait for grouper? And do you fish it whole or cut?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not a grouper digger normally but whole Spanish sardines, alewives (cut or whole, depending on size) and squid are all popular baits.

Lanark Mart carries an assortment. Ask Carson what's been the big seller lately.

If they've moved in shallower which is common for this time of year, you can also catch them by trolling big-lipped diving plugs like the Rapala CD series or Mann's Stretch. Firetiger, black/purple and white/red head are favorite patterns.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Jenks30fb

Post by Jenks30fb »

Ended up letting the kids sleep in so we didn’t get on the water until 10:00. Started in 40’ and only caught grunts and sea bass on squid and cut bait. Moved on out to 55’ and found a TON on the rare ARS, and they were very healthy. They were hitting anything we dropped including butterfly jigs and buck tails (thanks for the advice!). Managed to snag a couple short gags before the kids had enough. Water temps was 52 inshore and 68 ten miles out. I didn’t try to catch live bait so I’m not sure if any are around still or not.