Tagged Tarpon Travels from Keys to Maryland

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Tagged Tarpon Travels from Keys to Maryland

Post by silverking »

Bonefish and Tarpon Trust began to acoustically tag tarpon in May 2016 in an effort to expand our knowledge of tarpon habitat use and movement at different life stages. We just received a noteworthy report of a tarpon detection from BTT’s Tarpon Acoustic Tagging Project, and it provides additional insight on tarpon movement. A 40-50 pound male tarpon (ID #15923) tagged in the Lower Keys on May 12, 2017 was detected near Ocean City, Maryland this summer, on July 24, 2018. If the fish followed the Gulf Stream north, it swam roughly 1,000 miles, but if the fish followed the coast, it likely traveled twice that far! BTT scientists estimate that the tarpon now weighs approximately 60 pounds.

Using acoustic tags allows BTT scientists to tag juvenile, sub-adult, and full-grown tarpon, whereas previous satellite tagging efforts were limited to tagging fish 80 pounds or larger. It is remarkable that a tarpon this size traveled such a long distance, as the fish is still years from becoming sexually mature, which was believed to be the point at which tarpon begin migrating long distances. This recent detection underscores the importance of acoustic tagging, which provides new insight into tarpon movement and habitat use during different life stages, information that is critical to BTT’s conservation efforts. We thank Maverick Boat Group for its generous support of the BTT Tarpon Acoustic Tagging Project, as well as Capt. Danny Flynn and Capt. Ron Gibson, who assisted with the tagging of tarpon #15923. Stay tuned for more reports!
2278a5cb-a99e-4244-b1e2-3fbb83ba043f_468x450.png
2278a5cb-a99e-4244-b1e2-3fbb83ba043f_468x450.png (452.38 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Re: Tagged Tarpon Travels from Keys to Maryland

Post by Srbenda »

And who knew tarpon are in the Chesapeake bay?
All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Chesapeake is historic upper-most limit on their range. Not a lot, but not uncommon.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Some people would fish for them sea side lower eastern shore when I lived on MD shore. OC would be about 100 north of that.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Friend who has a beach house in OC caught a roller on fly a few years back. Ken said he thought the fish turned left when it should have turned right and got lost. :lol:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Good stuff, thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I've traveled from the Keys to Alabama in under 14 hours. (800 miles) It took that poon over a year. :-D
Joking aside, I didn't know they went that far north but I'm not surprised.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/