Shields boat ramp ??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Shields boat ramp ??

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

So I have some folks wanting to get on the water tomorrow morning in St Marks, I’ve advised poor fishing conditions with negative low and 15kt northeast wind and that hasn’t backed them up much. I’ve never used the shields landing, could I even get my boat in? I have a polar but it’s similar in dimensions to a 198 Carolina Skiff. I believe that would be my only option because the lighthouse is out for sure.
rockyg

Re: Shields boat ramp ??

Post by rockyg »

The Shields ramp is usable at any tide in a boat your size.

It looks like you have been all in the Reds further South......why would your charter want to come to St. Marks on a bad tide?
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

rockyg wrote:The Shields ramp is usable at any tide in a boat your size.

It looks like you have been all in the Reds further South......why would your charter want to come to St. Marks on a bad tide?
It’s where they want to go. They have time constraints.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
rockyg wrote:The Shields ramp is usable at any tide in a boat your size.

It’s where they want to go. They have time constraints.
The river has been holding fish. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Yeah you'll be fine at shields, I assume the fort is still closed. Shell islands boat ramp would give them quite the experience on a negative tide.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Could launch a 28' boat with triples there any time any day...

Have a boat slip there with a parking spot and it's been tough with people parking/blocking my spot though.. :-? .

Overflow parking is behind Shields and if you park on the river side of the lot you mess everything up. There's floating docks slightly down river if you need to "park" to go get your truck.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

procraftwes wrote:Could launch a 28' boat with triples there any time any day...

Have a boat slip there with a parking spot and it's been tough with people parking/blocking my spot though.. :-? .

Overflow parking is behind Shields and if you park on the river side of the lot you mess everything up. There's floating docks slightly down river if you need to "park" to go get your truck.
I don’t think parking will be an issue at 6:30 in the morning. :-D
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

procraftwes wrote:Could launch a 28' boat with triples there any time any day...

Overflow parking is behind Shields and if you park on the river side of the lot you mess everything up.
Apparently many boaters who normally use the fort ramp can't read the NO TRAILER PARKING signs along the river slips. I'm sure every one of them is paying their ramp fee, though. :roll:

I feel for those of you who have a designated spot. I'll be glad when the fort ramp reopens.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

silverking wrote:

Overflow parking is behind Shields and if you park on the river side of the lot you mess everything up.
Apparently many boaters who normally use the fort ramp can't read the NO TRAILER PARKING signs along the river slips. I'm sure every one of them is paying their ramp fee, though. :roll:

I feel for those of you who have a designated spot. I'll be glad when the fort ramp reopens.
I try not to get crabby and let it slide but I recently had to change out my battery bank.. 6 batteries hauled across the parking lot and 6 installed while a boat trailer was in my spot kinda pissed me off...

Still let it slide but the people around me are ready to call tow trucks.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Wondering around shields right now killing time. My people booked for st Marks, I told them yesterday to meet me at Shields Marina and somehow they got my home address off google and just called me from my driveway in Monticello asking if they were in the right place. So good morning, I hope your day is going well.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:Wondering around shields right now killing time. My people booked for st Marks, I told them yesterday to meet me at Shields Marina and somehow they got my home address off google and just called me from my driveway in Monticello asking if they were in the right place. So good morning, I hope your day is going well.
Oh man , sorry to hear. Hope you can still put them on a few
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Bad days sometimes turn out to be the best ones. Good luck. Let us know how the day turns out.

Since you asked, I’m doing well. I’m a ground blind. Saw 2 little bucks lock antlers earlier. Great day even if I go home with nothing.