Offshore: What am I doing wrong?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

Re: Offshore: What am I doing wrong?

Post by tailwaters »

SHOWBOAT wrote:St marks.

I know several folks that shoot hogs. Does anybody target them in the summer? Thinking t could be similar to yellowtailing in the keys.
I spear them during the summer but haven't had a lot of success catching them on rod and reel. They are one of the least aggressive fish on the reefs so you have to go through a lot of bycatch first. I suggest using fiddler crabs instead of shrimp to limit that bycatch. Also I see a lot more hogs on natural bottom than artificial.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Happy New Year everybody ! We fished Econfina on Sunday out to 40 ft. We were able to catch three keeper gags the biggest about ten pounds and one keeper red. The bite was very slow bottom fishing and not a single bite trolling. The trip before that we got skunked. Hang in there and keep trying next season.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

tailwaters wrote:

I know several folks that shoot hogs. Does anybody target them in the summer? Thinking t could be similar to yellowtailing in the keys.
I spear them during the summer but haven't had a lot of success catching them on rod and reel. They are one of the least aggressive fish on the reefs so you have to go through a lot of bycatch first. I suggest using fiddler crabs instead of shrimp to limit that bycatch. Also I see a lot more hogs on natural bottom than artificial.
Thanks. The folks I know spear them in 30' over live bottom. Like the OP, whose thread I didn't mean to hi-jack, just looking for other tasty species to target when grouper is out.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
tailwaters wrote:

Thanks. The folks I know spear them in 30' over live bottom. Like the OP, whose thread I didn't mean to hi-jack, just looking for other tasty species to target when grouper is out.
I welcome all tips and tricks on catching fish. :lick:
All photos copyright @saverymill
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Srbenda wrote:
SHOWBOAT wrote:
tailwaters wrote:

I welcome all tips and tricks on catching fish. :lick:
It takes time to lean a fishery but in my mind that's part of the fun. That being said here are a few suggestions.

Start with the basics. I assume you have a bottom machine but do you know how to use it. Not trying to be sarcastic but alot of poeple don't. Being able to see the second echo will greatly help you identify hard bottom. Spend time on each trip looking for new spots. This can be as simple as taking a new course, drive at a slow enought speed to get a good read while keeping an eye on your electronics (19-24mph). If you see a turtle on the surface slow down and see if it is feeding. They normaly hang around structure.

If fishing in 35' or less the fish can get spooked by the boat. Toss your bait off to the sides and not just directly below the boat. 10' can make all the differance. The best time to troll stretches is in the spring and fall. Yes you can catch them this way during the summer and winter but it's not nearly as productive. If you catch BSB or snake fish don't waist your time and move on if fishing for grouper.
GC88

Post by GC88 »

Why do you say if your catching BSB which I assume is Sea Bass to move spots?
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

GC88 wrote:Why do you say if your catching BSB which I assume is Sea Bass to move spots?
I say that for when you are targeting Grouper. Grouper love to eat BSB (black sea bass). Its been my experience that if there is alot of BSB on a spot then theirs no keeper grouper. Otherwise they would eat them until they moved elsewhere.

If you had caught alot of BSB off a particular spot and then fished it again say a week later and the BSB are gone. You better hold on because most likly their are some stud gags occupying the spot now.
GC88

Post by GC88 »

That’s an interesting concept. I attribute catching good bsb to good bottom. If your a diver you can see them when you on good bottom. Next season when I dive I will try to see if lots of bsb corispond with no keepers.

But imo bsb taste better than Grouper. Each fillet is perfectly fried sized, and if I’m throwing them in the boat I’m not moving until I decrease the population.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

That’s an interesting concept. I attribute catching good bsb to good bottom
I do too but grouper aren't on every patch of rock and those are the place the BSB congragate. They are great tasting fish too! Diving will really help your fishing or at least it has helped me.

Another good way to find bottom is keeping you eye out for turtels. They feed on structure so alot of times while offshore if I see one it's best to slow down and see if they are eating. I would say about 2 in 10 times I'll find a new spot this way.