Inshore/River fishing: what am I doing wrong?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Inshore/River fishing: what am I doing wrong?

Post by silverking »

Nice job, Brian and Matt. :thumbup: Any particular color preference or mixed?

Heard another excellent report from yesterday as well. Pleasant surprise with the weaker tides. The eastern portion of the bay seems to be producing much better than west of the SM River lately.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

normal dirty water colors: gold, white and orange. Quality fish. Aside from one undersized red, all fish were slot and above.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Fished today. East of Saint Marks. Hit some creeks in the mouths and followed some back in. Found 53-54 degree water and lots of fish. None wanted to eat. So we bounced to another spot that has produced. Found 58 degree water and it was on until the tide fell out and we had to head in. Did not tear them up, but once we found clear, but stained water :) that was warmer, we found fish. They were hungry. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

Glad you found em. That’s a nice red and a good pic.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

onefishtwofish wrote:Did not tear them up, but once we found clear, but stained water :) ...
I see what you did there.

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Hit the St. Marks river yesterday morning before the weather turned, and began out closer to the lighthouse, and quickly decided I would seek a more sheltered spot. We found an oyster bar, and fished as the tide came back in. For over an hour, we got no bites, and suddenly, the bite was on. In less than an hour, we caught a 24" red, and an under slot, as well as a nice 1.5 to 2 pound sheepshead, and unexpectedly, two ladyfish.

Both the keeper red and sheepshead we caught on shrimp on the bottom, and the others were caught with a shrimp below a popping cork.

Unfortunately, we ran out of time, and had to leave, or we might have done better.

With cold temps for the next week, should I expect the trout to begin moving further up into the river? River water was 62 or 63 on Saturday, and with the cold, I'm assuming the bay will be getting really chilly.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

Has anyone tried the creek in between the 32 & 34 markers on St. Marks lately? Four Mile Creek I believe? I'm coming down to deliver a boat next weekend and will have a couple VERY limited times to fish while I'm down. I'll be in a 1860 jon boat this time. Any other location suggestions are welcome. Just trying to get ahead of the ball a little with the time frames I have this trip. Thanks!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished today between the fort and the light house.
Got completely skunked.

Tried shrimp on the bottom, shrimp under corks, paddle tails, top water lures, and got nary a hit.

Cold front seems to have shut it down.

Maybe they'll be used to it later this week.
All photos copyright @saverymill
geofish

Post by geofish »

Still some leftovers from the rainwater runoff and knocking down the salinity as well. I know we all watch water temperature, but does anybody actually measure salinity when they're trout fishing in the river? Or just taste the water?
4reels

Post by 4reels »

I caught one short trout half way up the river between two trips last week. Tough fishing lately.

I did find a secret place back to the East. Run about 15 nm east outside of the stake line, then turn back to the North . . . . I think the locals call it Econfina. More fish, less water clarity debates, no cell service, etc.

A happy little place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk