An even better scouting tool than google earth

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

An even better scouting tool than google earth

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

https://bitbucket.org/sas_team/sas.plan ... downloads/

That is the link to the SAS Planet repository, I encourage you to try it. I ran across it while trying to find a way to put aerial overlays on my humminbird and you bring up imagery from many different sources with just a click. The ArcGis hybrid overlay has a lot of detail around steinhatchee, its not as clear around St Marks. If you have questions just ask, the help site is in Russian so its kind of a pain to use.

Unzip the zip file and run sasplanet.exe

Click here and change this to internet

Click the magnifying glass and search OSM for the town nearest to the area you want to search, the bar on the left controls the zoom or the wheel on your mouse will do the same

This is google earth imagery:

You can change the map here, I prefer the ArcGis Imagery
Last edited by doomtrpr_z71 on January 15th, 2019, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StMarksAngler

Re: An even better scouting tool than google earth

Post by StMarksAngler »

I'm going to venture a guess that 90%+ of the folks on this board don't know what a repository is, let alone how to pull and utilize the contents...
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

StMarksAngler wrote:I'm going to venture a guess that 90%+ of the folks on this board don't know what a repository is, let alone how to pull and utilize the contents...
I bet it's more than 90%!
I barely speak English and certainly don't speak or read Russian. Show us how to use that thing.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

By the way, if you open the link to the SAS Planet Repository using the Google Chrome browser, it can translate the Russian into English. That being said, I was not smart enough figure out how to find the satellite images of the Big Bend area.

To use the translate feature on Google Chrome:
1. Open the settings menu. This menu is accessed by clicking the three vertical dots on the top right corner of any web page opened in Chrome.
2. Open the Advanced settings. To access the Advanced settings, scroll down to the end of the setting page and click on "Advanced."
3. Scroll down to the Languages box and click the down arrow to the right of where it says Language English (United States).
4. Click the toggle switch to the right of where it says "Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language you read."
5. Open a website containing foreign language, like the website for the SAS Planet Repository.
6. Click on the Google Translate icon at the far right of the address or URL bar and just to the left of the star. This Icon is a little black and white square with a "G" on it.
7. When dialog box appears which states "Translate this page?," click "Translate."

8. Now, explain to the rest of us how to find the best satellite images of this area.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The repository is English and so is the program, download the zip SAS.Planet.Release.181221.zip and unzip it (google 7zip if you need a tool for that). Run SAS planet exe file and it will bring up the program, it has a selection of imagery to pull from. This video should help https://youtu.be/nyHd5bjbPUk/[video]
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I'll take screenshots later to help
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Maybe it's just me but the idea of downloading a Russian Zip file into my computer seems like a bad move. ;-)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

OP might be getting a visit from Mr. Mueller in the near future... evidence of Russian collusion on his computer :-D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I put better instructions in the OP, I wouldn't worry about the zip, its not Russian its an open source project started by a Russian, my corporate anti virus is a bit oversensitive and its not finding anything funny.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I've noticed that Bing imagery is now stopping at the shoreline, kinda a bummer to loose just it as a reference tool.