Tailing Redfish *DRONE FOOTAGE*

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Tailing Redfish *DRONE FOOTAGE*

Post by Salty Gator »

Man, that is really cool. One one hand it makes scouting infinitely easier, but at some point technology makes it unfair for the wildlife. Either way, one of the coolest videos I’ve seen on this forum. Those fish looked pretty spooky, even with the fly. Like all of the reds I’ve been tossing lures at all winter. Nice job, thanks for posting.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Cool! Where was that taken?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Great video, could have watched it for an hour!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I really enjoyed that footage. I agree with SG, scanning the flats with a drone to find fish seems a little over the top. The use of the flyrod on the other hand give the fish back the advantage so I suppose it evens out.

BTW....the "Dude" on the bow needs to spend some time in the yard with his flyrod, an old floating line, and some paper plates for targets. Until you can lay that fly (piece of yarn will do) right in front of the paper plate with the leader extended and gently landing, you are not going to catch a spooky Red. Casting a fly rod well takes a lot of dedication and practice.

Casting in the wind is another animal altogether. Man, I used to love it. Great Vid. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

Not sure what drone you have...but get a filter kit. A polarizing does wonders for those vids..just like your sunglasses. I don't think your're using one??

Oh...and they're illegal to fly in the NWR.

Oh...and depending on who takes an interest...there's a lot of gray area items, like pursuit, harassment....etc regarding wildlife.

I got 2, and got the commercial license 2 yrs ago. Didn't renew it last Sept.

Lol..anybody wanna buy 1 ?
Redrichie

Post by Redrichie »

Sent you a message red Hill turkey calls.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Nice! pretty water. How much for the drone Red Hills?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

rockyg wrote:I really enjoyed that footage. I agree with SG, scanning the flats with a drone to find fish seems a little over the top. The use of the flyrod on the other hand give the fish back the advantage so I suppose it evens out.

BTW....the "Dude" on the bow needs to spend some time in the yard with his flyrod, an old floating line, and some paper plates for targets. Until you can lay that fly (piece of yarn will do) right in front of the paper plate with the leader extended and gently landing, you are not going to catch a spooky Red. Casting a fly rod well takes a lot of dedication and practice.

Casting in the wind is another animal altogether. Man, I used to love it. Great Vid. :thumbup:

I've used one to take some video of me fishing but i'd hate for someone to think I was using it to find fish.. That part was done.

I suspect the same is the case here.

Really cool video.
dudewheresmyplug

Post by dudewheresmyplug »

I've been on these fish for years. Just trying to get one to eat on the drone. And we were not in the Refuge by the way..... And you have to remember, i'm trying to cast to the place where I think the fish is. I don't have the drone's perspective while casting at these fish. Only after watching the footage could i actually see where the fish is in relation to my cast. Glad some of you enjoyed it for what it is!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I can see where a drone could be helpful for scouting...

...gators hugging the bottom in wadefishing areas.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

GaryDroze wrote:I can see where a drone could be helpful for scouting...

...gators hugging the bottom in wadefishing areas.
Or finding Gary's Boats :smt004
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Great video! The drone does help with scouting, but it doesn't make the fish bite as seen in the video.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Awesome video and kudos to whoever was controlling the drone. That takes a certain skill I don't have. I've bought two of those things and just couldn't get the hang of it so gave em to the grandkids. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
dudewheresmyplug

Post by dudewheresmyplug »

ropeman wrote:Great video! The drone does help with scouting, but it doesn't make the fish bite as seen in the video.
and that was very frustrating. Fortunately we already had a couple of bites on the fly before we threw the drone up!!