Dicks Sporting Goods

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Dicks Sporting Goods

Post by dombern34 »

MudDucker wrote:
StMarksAngler wrote:
dombern34 wrote:you can put whatever "gun law restrictions" you want on guns. But, if a bad person wants to cause harm, I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a "Law" to stop them.
Common Fox News crowd talking point (and this is literally circulated in NRA marketing literature), that has absolutely zero basis in reality. US gun violence is thousands of magnitudes beyond all other first world countries. The only difference is, the laws. Adjusted for population size, you're literally hundreds of times more likely to be killed in the US by a gun than you are in the UK, Germany, China, Japan, etc. Even with active war/conflicts, you're still currently three to four times more likely to be killed here by a gun than you are in Syria, Pakistan, Iran, Libya, Yemen, Palestine, India, Sri Lanka, etc. Pretty much the only places you're more likely to be killed by guns are Colombia, Honduras, Venezuela, Thailand, the Philippines... in other words, countries with vast swaths of remote, unpoliced territory plagued by drug violence.

Are you going to stop a mad genius from concocting homemade sarin gas in his basement and setting off an improvised device in Times Square, by restricting access to ARs and high capacity magazines? No... but that's not the point. The point is that by having reasonable, logical laws preventing unnecessary access to powerful weaponry you prevent the other 95% of attacks, committed by bullied kids and Pizzagate conspiracy rednecks.

I own lots of guns, and lots of ARs. But our current laws make less than zero sense, and there is absolutely no tenable position that argues otherwise.
First, your reference to Fox News is the typical liberal response that attempts to degrade the responder. Second, the 2nd Amendment says "shall not be infringed" and all of these attempts at idiotic regulation spoken as "common sense" gun laws are un-Constitutional and far from common sense. If you read the book "Unintended Consequences", it tells of how a bad case made for bad law allowing some restriction of our 2nd Amendment rights. As an attorney and avid student of both the law and history, there is NO data to show a direct relationship between gun control and crime control. Why, well for a starter, the shooter is usually (a) a criminal or (b) a nut case. Guess what, neither of these will obey gun laws. Gun laws will not control crime or gun violence as evil people always find a way around the laws. Look at London where knife and acid attacks replaced guns. Even there, criminals still have guns. There are FAR too many guns in circulation in the US for any law to prevent anyone from getting a gun. An FBI bud told me that there are MORE guns sold on the black market than from legal sources. Also, do you know you aren't speaking Japanese ... because the Japanese knew that there was no way an invasion of the US would succeed, because there was an American with a gun behind every blade of grass.

Many of today's attacks are carried out in declared gun free zones. The media does not report how many times a good man with a gun stopped an evil man with a gun. That happens far more than the media highlighted attacks.

As for me, you gun regulationists can pound sand. I advise you that I am not slave to the government and will not be made one by being disarmed. The British tried to seize the colonists' weapons and they got the wrong end of those guns. While I am a peaceful man, I will not stand by and allow people with no common sense to sing the song of commons sense gun controls to come take my guns. I advise all to guard all of their rights, but the 2nd amendment is the cornerstone to preventing a tyrannical government from taking the rest.

Have a nice day!

:smt004 :smt004 :D exactly.

Mr. StMarksangler, you and Nancy Pelosi must be related. having an opinion is one thing but getting salty because we're not agreeing with you is your typical liberal attitude. you may believe everything you read on the internet and what the media is highlighting but I'm going to follow your instructions and come up with my own conclusions with what really happens in this world. even with the crooked media it's easy to see that gun laws aren't the issue and never will be. since your sodium levels are spiking, maybe you should turn over all your "high capacity magazines" since that's apparently going to fix this issue.. it's Friday!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

collective knowledge of the world's academic institutions.
Right. Nothing to be suspect about an academic that leans left! That is good stuff right there.
I own lots of guns, and lots of ARs.
Don't worry, we will protect them for you, despite your objections.
Adjusted for population size, you're literally hundreds of times more likely to be killed in the US by a gun than you are in the UK, Germany, China, Japan, etc.
You are literally really really bad at math. Murder rates are reported as per 100,000. THAT adjusts for population size right there. You can't take that number and divide again by the population AS IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE. Literally.
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/mur ... untry.html
Note these are based on UN numbers, which believes whatever number they are given. And we just KNOW China, with it's liberal and open treatment of it's citizens is completely honest. I can say that with no fear of repercussion, because no Chinese national will be allowed to read this, since they are not allowed on the internet. :smt005
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

EVERYBODY!!!

Please take a minute to scroll back to the original thread post, which was somebody innocently offering that we could save a few cents on a fishing lure product. That instantly escalated to ideological warfare.

What the hell are we doing to ourselves?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

GaryDroze wrote:EVERYBODY!!!

Please take a minute to scroll back to the original thread post, which was somebody innocently offering that we could save a few cents on a fishing lure product. That instantly escalated to ideological warfare.

Protecting our rights!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

GaryDroze wrote:EVERYBODY!!!

Expressing our opinions on a discussion board. Just discussing why some of us would not care if it was less at Dick's. No one has been dismissive to the OP.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

MudDucker wrote:
StMarksAngler wrote:
dombern34 wrote:you can put whatever "gun law restrictions" you want on guns. But, if a bad person wants to cause harm, I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a "Law" to stop them.
Common Fox News crowd talking point (and this is literally circulated in NRA marketing literature), that has absolutely zero basis in reality. US gun violence is thousands of magnitudes beyond all other first world countries. The only difference is, the laws. Adjusted for population size, you're literally hundreds of times more likely to be killed in the US by a gun than you are in the UK, Germany, China, Japan, etc. Even with active war/conflicts, you're still currently three to four times more likely to be killed here by a gun than you are in Syria, Pakistan, Iran, Libya, Yemen, Palestine, India, Sri Lanka, etc. Pretty much the only places you're more likely to be killed by guns are Colombia, Honduras, Venezuela, Thailand, the Philippines... in other words, countries with vast swaths of remote, unpoliced territory plagued by drug violence.

Are you going to stop a mad genius from concocting homemade sarin gas in his basement and setting off an improvised device in Times Square, by restricting access to ARs and high capacity magazines? No... but that's not the point. The point is that by having reasonable, logical laws preventing unnecessary access to powerful weaponry you prevent the other 95% of attacks, committed by bullied kids and Pizzagate conspiracy rednecks.

I own lots of guns, and lots of ARs. But our current laws make less than zero sense, and there is absolutely no tenable position that argues otherwise.
First, your reference to Fox News is the typical liberal response that attempts to degrade the responder. Second, the 2nd Amendment says "shall not be infringed" and all of these attempts at idiotic regulation spoken as "common sense" gun laws are un-Constitutional and far from common sense. If you read the book "Unintended Consequences", it tells of how a bad case made for bad law allowing some restriction of our 2nd Amendment rights. As an attorney and avid student of both the law and history, there is NO data to show a direct relationship between gun control and crime control. Why, well for a starter, the shooter is usually (a) a criminal or (b) a nut case. Guess what, neither of these will obey gun laws. Gun laws will not control crime or gun violence as evil people always find a way around the laws. Look at London where knife and acid attacks replaced guns. Even there, criminals still have guns. There are FAR too many guns in circulation in the US for any law to prevent anyone from getting a gun. An FBI bud told me that there are MORE guns sold on the black market than from legal sources. Also, do you know you aren't speaking Japanese ... because the Japanese knew that there was no way an invasion of the US would succeed, because there was an American with a gun behind every blade of grass.

Many of today's attacks are carried out in declared gun free zones. The media does not report how many times a good man with a gun stopped an evil man with a gun. That happens far more than the media highlighted attacks.

As for me, you gun regulationists can pound sand. I advise you that I am not slave to the government and will not be made one by being disarmed. The British tried to seize the colonists' weapons and they got the wrong end of those guns. While I am a peaceful man, I will not stand by and allow people with no common sense to sing the song of commons sense gun controls to come take my guns. I advise all to guard all of their rights, but the 2nd amendment is the cornerstone to preventing a tyrannical government from taking the rest.

Have a nice day!
I was going to try... I really was. But this is just too fucking stupid to humor. This is anti-intellectualism at its worst and I just don't have the time to waste on someone beyond redemption.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

dombern34 wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
StMarksAngler wrote:

Have a nice day!

:smt004 :smt004 :D exactly.

Mr. StMarksangler, you and Nancy Pelosi must be related. having an opinion is one thing but getting salty because we're not agreeing with you is your typical liberal attitude. you may believe everything you read on the internet and what the media is highlighting but I'm going to follow your instructions and come up with my own conclusions with what really happens in this world. even with the crooked media it's easy to see that gun laws aren't the issue and never will be. since your sodium levels are spiking, maybe you should turn over all your "high capacity magazines" since that's apparently going to fix this issue.. it's Friday!
Actually I'm not a liberal all at, I'm a libertarian. I'm also not an idiot, which is why I don't run around like one reciting insane Hannity, Carlson and Ingraham conspiracy theories about "the crooked media" and "Nancy Pelosi eats babies." There's one and only one source for that lunacy and it's Fox News. If that's your canonical source of information? Well, then you've abdicated your responsibility as a participant in a democracy.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

onefishtwofish wrote:
collective knowledge of the world's academic institutions.
Right. Nothing to be suspect about an academic that leans left! That is good stuff right there.
I own lots of guns, and lots of ARs.
Don't worry, we will protect them for you, despite your objections.
Adjusted for population size, you're literally hundreds of times more likely to be killed in the US by a gun than you are in the UK, Germany, China, Japan, etc.
You are literally really really bad at math. Murder rates are reported as per 100,000. THAT adjusts for population size right there. You can't take that number and divide again by the population AS IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE. Literally.
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/mur ... untry.html
Note these are based on UN numbers, which believes whatever number they are given. And we just KNOW China, with it's liberal and open treatment of it's citizens is completely honest. I can say that with no fear of repercussion, because no Chinese national will be allowed to read this, since they are not allowed on the internet. :smt005
Being an intellectually honest bastion of truth, you've also noted for the readers how the statistical sources you cite here in fact have absolutely nothing to do with gun deaths, right? You didn't pull a classic Fox & Friends bait n' switch?

Oh, wait...
Last edited by StMarksAngler on April 2nd, 2019, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

You guys crack me up. I've got better things to do like go fishing...……. :-D
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

This needs hijacking anyway , Where does everyone get the news these days ?
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:This needs hijacking anyway , Where does everyone get the news these days ?
Assuming this is sincere, I like to create my own feeds from about 30-40 different news sources using https://Feedly.com. It then pulls down and aggregates all the latest news from Reuters, Associated Press, BBC, WSJ, NYT, Forbes, Bloomberg, Atlantic, Time, Economist, New Yorker, NY Post, CSM, Washington Post, Federalist, USA Today, Politico, NY Post, National Review, Weekly Standard, CNN, etc. Get a good balance from all the different angles and perspectives.

RealClearPolitics and Aktu do much of the same thing, without having to set anything up yourself.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

CNN is fake news.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

StMarksAngler wrote: Actually I'm not a liberal all at, I'm a libertarian. I'm also not an idiot, which is why I don't run around like one reciting insane Hannity, Carlson and Ingraham conspiracy theories about "the crooked media" and "Nancy Pelosi eats babies." There's one and only one source for that lunacy and it's Fox News. If that's your canonical source of information? Well, then you've abdicated your responsibility as a participant in a democracy.
Interesting, you would be the first libertarian I've ever heard of that is for gun control, besides that I'd come off the high horse you're riding intellectually, stats can be skewed and degrees don't necessarily make you educated, I've got 4 and it still appears to me that the media is quite crooked.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

StMarksAngler wrote:Actually I'm not a liberal all at, I'm a libertarian. I'm also not an idiot, which is why I don't run around like one reciting insane Hannity, Carlson and Ingraham conspiracy theories about "the crooked media" and "Nancy Pelosi eats babies." There's one and only one source for that lunacy and it's Fox News. If that's your canonical source of information? Well, then you've abdicated your responsibility as a participant in a democracy.
Nope, I lean way toward libertarian and under libertarian views, gun controls are just another unwanted intrusion into personal rights. So your ideas are the absolute antithesis of libertarian thought. Again, you go low to attack those who are conservative by making reference to Fox celebrities. I hardly ever watch Fox, but I never watch the idiots on the other alphabet news, because they are liars. Unlike you, I don't need some talking head to tell me what to think. I am a student of history ... yep, facts and the fact is that you are uneducated with regard to gun control. Don't know where you get your "facts", but you might want to read the federalist papers and writings of the founders of this country, none of whom would agree with your thoughts.

Yes, I am one of the 3%!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Redfin wrote:CNN is fake news.

StMarksAngler is fake news