Shell Point / St. Marks 3/26-3/29 Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Price3275

Shell Point / St. Marks 3/26-3/29 Fishing

Post by Price3275 »

Came down to Shell Point 3/26 for a few days of fishing. Fished the outside edge of Goose Creek Bay the 26th, the wind was out of the SSW, water temp about 69-70, and stained. Probably caught 30 trout total with 9 being keepers, all in about 4 feet of water. All caught on 1/4 ounce jig head and gulp shrimp worked slowly just off the bottom, with natural and new penny being the best colors. Caught my PB white trout also at 18".

The 27th the wind was NNE at a good rate, which made anything much more than creek fishing impossible. Water still stained, with temps in the middle/lower 60s. Came up with two 14" white trout and about 15 hardheads (while making an attempt at a sheepshead) fishing live shrimp on bottom around the Spring Creek oyster farming operation in about 8 feet of water. We got tired of feeding shrimp to the catfish, then moved, and caught 2 rat reds and a few small trout in the Oyster Bay canal on the same bait.

The 28th the wind was ENE, but was manageable inside with a bay boat. Tried Four mile creek, Spray Bar area, and immediately around the lighthouse with no luck. Drifted the West Flats from the river bars almost all the way to the Goose Creek Bay Channel, and picked up one legal flounder, 3 keeper trout, probably 8 short trout, and several big sail cats. All fish in 3-5 feet of water. I don't recall water temp there. Tried all kinds of baits... Gulp shrimp with or without a popping cork was the only thing that produced. Natural or new penny color.

Also, the pinfish are in the canals at Shell Point if anyone needs to catch any. We probably caught 40 2"-4" fish in one trap set. Didn't have any takers on the free lined pinfish behind the boat all week. We also caught enough blue crabs in the same area for a good boil on Thursday night (probably 25 out of 5 traps soaked for two days.) A drift sock (sea anchor) was a great piece of equipment to have on this trip. It helped tremendously on keeping speed down on drifts.

I would post a few pictures but between my phone being junk, and the admins not updating my site sponsor status, it's somewhat difficult for me to post them.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Shell Point / St. Marks 3/26-3/29 Fishing

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice report. Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice report.
The Back Porch
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice trip. :thumbup: It's been a crazy spring with all the wind and warm trends, then mini cold fronts.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat