Anybody seeing any mullet?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Anybody seeing any mullet?

Post by BloodyChamp »

I might be overreacting a little but I saw about the flesh eating bacteria messing up a bunch of mullet as close as the St Johns already this year, and we all know what happened last year. Meanwhile here I am down at the Aucilla and St Marks where I’ve never not seen any until now, and it’s an incoming tide. A fisherman in a boat at the St Marks said he didn’t see any either :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Anybody seeing any mullet?

Post by silverking »

Have been seeing plenty of mullet every trip this spring. No need for panic mode.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Yup, all things healthy here in our area. a little slower start to the year than previous
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

I have not seen a mullet in the last 4 or 5 trips, that I can remember. This would include trips to Shell Point, St. Marks, Dog Island, St. George Island areas. Perhaps that's why my success rate has been low, least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :roll:
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Hmmm maybe this is the dude from the Newport ramp who jackknifed his trailer then blamed my truck parked 30 yards away :emoticonfordramaticeffect:
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Saw mullet in Panacea/ St. Theresa 2 weeks ago, and saw some in the St. Marks this weekend.
All photos copyright @saverymill
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I guess they’re hanging out in the saltwater. I saw maybe 15 mullet altogether between my 2 spots on the St Marks and Aucilla and only caught 1. I usually see that many per group and there are usually several groups.
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

Original plan was to take my birthday money and buy a new cast net (yes, I’m 43 and still get b-day money.... don’t judge). This mullet conundrum still has me scratching my head.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I didn’t clarify but I thought everybody knew I fished with a fishing pole in freshwater. Some mullet did show up, but so did the pukestain who I referenced earlier, who after all of that spent 20 minutes on his jetski reving it up like a motorcycle because it wasn’t running right, or so he was cursing to himself. He might have done it because I snapped back at him about accusing me of disrupting his launch. Then I went to Nutall Rise some mullet showed up there, but once again only some and they were just out of reach going east and west (because of the rails) not north and south. They were plenty close to the actual dock. Caught 1 from the St Marks which is plenty for me to eat with hushpuppies so no need to pout and cry like I was earlier lol!
Last edited by BloodyChamp on May 8th, 2019, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

My wife and I saw some mullet at Oyster Bay a couple of weekends ago. We were fishing from our kayaks.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

The St Marks Refuge tidal creeks are still full of mullet, as they always are. After I retire from teaching/coaching, I'm pretty sure I can eke out a living from cast netting Refuge mullet. They never leave those creeks, and they swim there in schools of hundreds or more, all the time.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Ssshhh :wink:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The coach is suffering from stress and overwork from end of year track meets. He's out of his mind with delirium and babbling. Pay no attention to him. Give him an ice cold IPA and he'll calm down.

But I'll fess up. It's true mullet are extinct along the entire Big Bend coast and the game fish that gorge on them have migrated to Corpus Christi. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m back at the Aucilla for the 2nd time this year, and I still haven’t seen the first mullet here for the 2nd year in a row. Obviously things just change sometimes and you have to roll with it. I attempted to do that today by trying Hickory Mound but there was more people there than Miami Beach lol! 1 guy was mullet fishing though (rest were crabbing), and sounded like he knew what he was doing. He said they would soon be coming in with the tide.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Have seen mullet jumping at the oyster bars near Paddy Island consistently

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill