Fishing Line

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

STMU

Re: Fishing Line

Post by STMU »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
milto wrote:For all the braid users out there, how long do you keep your braid on your spool? Do you ever experience what I would consider a dry rot where your braid pops behind your leader? I felt like i had several break offs yesterday that didn't feel like cut offs from toothy critters. I've also heard of using the other end of your spool if you have another reel to move your line to. Thoughts??
I usually change once a year, I will cut a couple feet off when I retie if its sunbleached. Jbraid is cheap enough to me that its worth not trying to spool it on another reel, especially when its on sale for $65 for 1500m.
It sounds like I am in the minority, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but I never respool my braid. I'll cut a few feet off or flip it on the spool. I don't start with a mono backing either. If it starts getting to short on the spool, I'll then add a mono backing and repeat. Most of my reels have Sufix 832 that may be 3 years old, but I have some power pro on a couple of inshores that are probably 5 yrs or older. I can't speak to a specific instance where I could say it was old braid that failed, although I will probably break off every fish this week after having said that!
Srbenda wrote: I use unit knots on mono to flouro, but have always felt uneasy about braid to flouro. Do the knots hold well? If so, I'll absolutely do it.
It will prevent me from having an aneurysm everytime a guest on my boat trys to reel past the swivel.
Uni knots work well for braid to flouro, and I would rather break a leader knot a time or two than the rod tip eye!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

STMU wrote: I usually change once a year, I will cut a couple feet off when I retie if its sunbleached. Jbraid is cheap enough to me that its worth not trying to spool it on another reel, especially when its on sale for $65 for 1500m.
It sounds like I am in the minority, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but I never respool my braid. I'll cut a few feet off or flip it on the spool. I don't start with a mono backing either. If it starts getting to short on the spool, I'll then add a mono backing and repeat. Most of my reels have Sufix 832 that may be 3 years old, but I have some power pro on a couple of inshores that are probably 5 yrs or older. I can't speak to a specific instance where I could say it was old braid that failed, although I will probably break off every fish.[/quote]

I've broken 80lb with frogs that was a couple years old, I don't take chances on saltwater fish since I don't get to go as often as I'd like. I do have some 832 that's 2 years old but those 2 reels don't get fished as much.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I like both braid and mono,,,both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'll respool about every other year. I believe in stealth so I use the smallest diameter lines I feel comfortable with... usually 10 lb Power Pro with 12 lb fluorocarbon leader tied with a blood knot or a granny knot and a touch of super glue but most of my spinners are spooled with 8 lb Trilene XL mono.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/