Scalloping......

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Scalloping......

Post by procraftwes »

Try the Ocklocknee Shoals. longer ride out there, gin clear water but beware as it's a 3' deep shoal surrounded by deep water 8 miles offshore.. I don't worry much about sharks but a tiger or big bull may pass by.. I don't see too many big sharks(other than blacktips) on the flats.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Salty Gator wrote:
Apalachee Inshore wrote:Plenty of scallops out there just have to know where to look.
Or hire the right guide :wink:
Yeah it’s crazy to think people can’t just rent a boat or go out for the first time and find them immediately.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

procraftwes wrote:Try the Ocklocknee Shoals. longer ride out there, gin clear water but beware as it's a 3' deep shoal surrounded by deep water 8 miles offshore.. I don't worry much about sharks but a tiger or big bull may pass by.. I don't see too many big sharks(other than blacktips) on the flats.
I’ve never seen a scallop on ochlockonee shoals. I believe there needs to be a little freshwater influence
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Salty Gator wrote:
procraftwes wrote:Try the Ocklocknee Shoals. longer ride out there, gin clear water but beware as it's a 3' deep shoal surrounded by deep water 8 miles offshore.. I don't worry much about sharks but a tiger or big bull may pass by.. I don't see too many big sharks(other than blacktips) on the flats.
I’ve never seen a scallop on ochlockonee shoals. I believe there needs to be a little freshwater influence
I was out there this weekend, and saw nary a single scallop.
However, if you're into sea urchins, you can go get plenty.

I've tried sea urchins a number of times, but not my preferred shellfish.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Image. I want a cooler full like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Something about them little boogers gets people stirring lol I go whenever my sister takes me in her boat but that’s about it it’s not my thing but she’s crazy about it. I do like eating them though lol!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

16 spoiled us since they were so thick around steinhatchee you could limit out in 30min. I wonder if the numbers were so high because in 15 noone could scallop around steinhatchee since the water was so cloudy.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

https://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mo ... ps/season/

If you believe the scouting report above it looks like a bust of a season except for Taylor County.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Srbenda wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
procraftwes wrote: However, if you're into sea urchins, you can go get plenty.
Interesting, I've never noticed them out there. Were there a lot? Happen to know which variety you saw? I'd make a run out there to collect some!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

StMarksAngler wrote:
Srbenda wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
procraftwes wrote: However, if you're into sea urchins, you can go get plenty.
Interesting, I've never noticed them out there. Were there a lot? Happen to know which variety you saw? I'd make a run out there to collect some!
I'm not proficient on my urchin ID, but I saw brown and white ones. I was in about 6' of water in mixed grass/ sandy bottom.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Hit-n-Miss

Scalloping......

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Never seen anything but the short spined variety while scalloping. :-D
Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on June 21st, 2019, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:16 spoiled us since they were so thick around steinhatchee you could limit out in 30min. I wonder if the numbers were so high because in 15 noone could scallop around steinhatchee since the water was so cloudy.
In 2015 the weather was so tough a lot less people got out to take them. They had a good breeding season and 2016 was great!
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Hit-n-Miss wrote::-D Never seen the short spined variety while scalloping. :-D
I've seen two types in the last 10 years and I've thought about trying them but I believe all types are off the list for taking.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

relicshunter wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote::-D Never seen the short spined variety while scalloping. :-D
I've seen two types in the last 10 years and I've thought about trying them but I believe all types are off the list for taking.
Only Long-Spined urchins are prohibited from harvest. The rest are 20 per person, but no more than 5 of any one species.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Just curious as I've never tried them. How do you clean and prepare urchins? In pasta like scallops and clams or what?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat