Scalloping......

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

StMarksAngler

Re: Scalloping......

Post by StMarksAngler »

You're eating the reproductive organs of the urchin, so it's much softer in texture and more delicate than scallops. Generally you eat them raw, or you can very gently saute and add to pasta or the like. To clean you cut them in half with shears and scoop out the yellow/orange parts to eat.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hmmm. And how many beers does it take for this procedure? :lol:

I'll have to give 'em a try sometime. Sounds like the ultimate sushi. Thanks for the explanation, SMA.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
bman

Post by bman »

It’s called Uni in the sushi restaurants...
https://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashimi- ... ea-urchin/
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Well this post took a different direction, so how much meat is in a sea urchin? I've seen several while scalloping. I'll eat any tasty animal!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

ropeman wrote:Well this post took a different direction, so how much meat is in a sea urchin? I've seen several while scalloping. I'll eat any tasty animal!
Not much.
I'd say less than a bay scallop.

And much tougher to get.
All photos copyright @saverymill
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

More than a bay scallop, but you also don't eat them like you would a bay scallop. A typical portion size would only be a couple of ounces.

It's an acquired taste/texture. If you don't like sushi, you won't like uni. If you're OK with foie gras, salmon eggs, or even oysters, you should like it. It's soft, squishy, salty, sweet.
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

I'm intrigued. I like Uni and I've wondered how the urchins around here would compare to what you get in a sushi restaurant. How big would an urchin have to be to be worth harvesting?
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Growing up harvesting them in Hawaii we didn't bother with ones much smaller than your fist. But there were hundreds to pick from and no regulations.

Since you're familiar with uni, a typical urchin has about 2-3 nigiri-style servings in it. They each have five edible "lobes" inside of various size.
geofish

Post by geofish »

If you'd rather eat fish, I've seen divers break them open with a diver's knife, and it seemed to really make the reef fish come alive. Fancy chum
Ecowildlifer

Post by Ecowildlifer »

Couldnt make scalloping out of St. Mark's on the 4th. Tried today and the weather kept chasing us around. Any reports since opening on the 1st? Hearing Homosassa and elsewhere is miserable this year.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

St Marks is barren of scallops. None at all. A few people staying at the fish camp made the drive to Steinhatchee.
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

guthooked wrote:St Marks is barren of scallops. None at all. A few people staying at the fish camp made the drive to Steinhatchee.
^this^...

Didn't see a single scallop on the flats.
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Since there are so few scallops to make a meal, I will suggest what we do with them.
Stuffed on the half shell.
2 cups yellow rice ( cooked and cooled)
2 cups extra sharp cheddar or less to your taste
1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder
snipped garlic or onion chive to you taste, I use more then a heaping tablespoon
mix up and press a barely heaping glob on top of each scallop on half shell, and top with a tiny piece of butter.
bake at 325 until bubbly. don't over cook.
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

I was in Steinhatchee opening weekend. Went south by pepperfish key and the water was murky and couldn’t see anything. Maybe there’s a secret to seeing when the water is green :lol:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Am I the only one concerned about these flesh eating bacteria cases this year? I am recovering from a couple surgeries and the work they did on me goes all the way through to the internals of my gut, so contracting such a thing would certainly be the death of me. I have seen several of these cases in the Destin area and read this morning that Mississippi has closed all of their beaches.

I may pass on scallop season this year and hope that this bacteria situation improves.

- Steve Stinson