Capsized

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lmmoore

Capsized

Post by lmmoore »

Anyone hear of a boat capsized off Carrabelle today?
John21:6

Re: Capsized

Post by John21:6 »

Yes, I heard the coast guard portion of the response to the distress calls as we were trying to beat the storms to the shore. Apparently, the people on the boat were rescued by a passing boat. Then, I heard the Coast Guard say to the captain of the rescued boat, “Sir, what do you intend to do about the boat?”

Not sure what I’d say in that situation.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Boats can be replaced. People can't. Glad everyone made it back to shore safely. I launched at Lanark Friday morning but when I saw the conditions at the channel, I turned around and put the skiff back on the trailer. Unfortunately, the red snapper limited derby tends to cloud better judgement for some.

Was part of a crew fishing off Pompano Beach for sailfish one winter. Lines became fouled around the props and the owner raised the outboard to clear them. Boat was a Seacraft 23 with a cutaway transom. We took one wave over the stern in a big swell, then another and before we knew it the boat capsized and we were all in the water. Some scary moments when you're in the middle of the Gulf Stream and the current is ripping. Fortunately another nearby boat saw us in trouble and raced over to pull us out. The Coast Guard finally showed up later--3 guys aboard a big SeaDoo. Not sure how they would have actually helped us.

Situations can change rapidly out there when you least expect them. My brother-in-law gave me great advice when I bought my first boat. He said, "You don't have to be afraid of the Gulf. But you damn sure better respect it." I think about those words often.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

silverking wrote:Boats can be replaced. People can't. Glad everyone made it back to shore safely. I launched at Lanark Friday morning but when I saw the conditions at the channel, I turned around and put the skiff back on the trailer. Unfortunately, the red snapper limited derby tends to cloud better judgement for some.

Was part of a crew fishing off Pompano Beach for sailfish one winter. Lines became fouled around the props and the owner raised the outboard to clear them. Boat was a Seacraft 23 with a cutaway transom. We took one wave over the stern in a big swell, then another and before we knew it the boat capsized and we were all in the water. Some scary moments when you're in the middle of the Gulf Stream and the current is ripping. Fortunately another nearby boat saw us in trouble and raced over to pull us out. The Coast Guard finally showed up later--3 guys aboard a big SeaDoo. Not sure how they would have actually helped us.

Situations can change rapidly out there when you least expect them. My brother-in-law gave me great advice when I bought my first boat. He said, "You don't have to be afraid of the Gulf. But you damn sure better respect it." I think about those words often.
Dont have anything to add just want to say thanks for sharing that story.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

The Tallahassee Democrat wrote an article about the capsized boat in the rescue of its passengers. Here’s a link to the article https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 623485001/
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

it's crazy how fast weather can change out there. Glad this story didn't have a different ending. the article states that the CG didn't have a boat in the area big enough, could they not send a helicopter?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

dombern34 wrote:it's crazy how fast weather can change out there. Glad this story didn't have a different ending. the article states that the CG didn't have a boat in the area big enough, could they not send a helicopter?
I was also a little surprised. They didn’t seem to do much at all
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Capsized

Post by bbb »

FWC usually has a big 55’ boat sitting at the Moorings. I think they dock their 25’ boat there too. But you have to have officers there to drive them. They were probably an hour and a half away in Tallahassee.

As for the Coast Guard, if the rescue boat confirmed they were headed to those coordinates and were 10 miles away, the Coast Guard would probably just be on standby on 16. I have to believe the rescue boat spoke to CG Mobile to let them know they were headed to the position given. The closest plane is Pensacola or Mobile right?

If no one was in the area to help, I have to believe they would have taken to the air if they received the Mayday call and position.

I spent a good chunk of change on an Epirb, flares, beacons, handheld vhf, extra auto bilge pump etc. Hope it all never has to be used.

2 things I need to do a better job of is to monitor channel 16 on a high volume and keep my phone in a waterproof case.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

It does seem that they did not have an EPIRB, but I'm not sure how the phone would have helped, unless they were relatively close in to shore. I do carry a backup handheld radio that is waterproof.
I always keep my radio on 16, in the event someone nearby needs assistance, or I suddenly need to radio for assistance.
All photos copyright @saverymill
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Your best safety equipment by far is your brain.

I was at the coast on Friday and wanted very badly to go fishing. Thursday had been the most beautiful day ever, and by sundown, it was slick calm. Then a line of storms came all the way across from Steinhatchee producing an awe-inspiring lightning show about 11pm. By midnight it was blowing SE 30 plus at Lanark. When I looked out the RV window at 6am it was still howling. The radar showed small rain showers scattered all around just waiting for the sun to fire them up.

So.....it's rained and stormed during the night. The early morning air is ripe with potential thunderstorms. The wind is still howling at daybreak. The weather report for Saturday and Sunday are for much improved conditions. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

As the owner/captain of the boat you are the responsible party. Your friends and family's lives are in your hands. Use your brain and make the right decision. A handful of fish are not worth dying for.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
4reels

Post by 4reels »

Certainly a learning opportunity for everyone, myself included.

After the accident in St. Marks earlier this year, I have used my kill switch and life-jackets while underway religiously - and I owe that to this forum. What do most folks out there use in terms of ditch bags, inflatable rafts, epirb, etc? Does anyone have an example of what they have packed and ready to go in the event of a capsize or other emergency ? I have looked at tons of these things on the internet - but quickly get overwhelmed. Seems like you can spend a small fortune on that stuff. What would the more seasoned folks recommend I/we use when it comes to emergency equipment? I have the required things and a good marine radio (with 6 ft antenna above the T-top), but I often feel I need another layer of security.

Thanks for sharing your advice.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

bbb wrote:FWC usually has a big 55’ boat sitting at the Moorings. I think they dock their 25’ boat there too. But you have to have officers there to drive them. They were probably an hour and a half away in Tallahassee.

As for the Coast Guard, if the rescue boat confirmed they were headed to those coordinates and were 10 miles away, the Coast Guard would probably just be on standby on 16. I have to believe the rescue boat spoke to CG Mobile to let them know they were headed to the position given. The closest plane is Pensacola or Mobile right?

If no one was in the area to help, I have to believe they would have taken to the air if they received the Mayday call and position.

I spent a good chunk of change on an Epirb, flares, beacons, handheld vhf, extra auto bilge pump etc. Hope it all never has to be used.

2 things I need to do a better job of is to monitor channel 16 on a high volume and keep my phone in a waterproof case.

Thankfully these guys were close by. only God knows what would've happened if they weren't. the article also points out that CG didn't dispatch this over? IF this had gone the other way, would the CG be at fault? to me, this is almost like a neighbor calling the fire depot because your house is on fire and they say well you have a hose right? go spray it out and call us if you run into any trouble. lol I'm sure those guys were happy to see any floating vessel at that time! I'm sure there's more to the story and I'm not trying to hate on the CG, just strange IMO.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've written about boating safety and ditch bag contents multiple times over the years. Here is a list of recommended items. You can customize to fit your particular vessel/fishing style. Also, a cell phone is a great back-up for communication. But VHF radio traffic is universal and monitored by other boats and the USCG.

9 Ditch Bag Essentials

A well-equipped ditch bag is an item you hope is never necessary. But in the unlikely event a crew is forced into a life raft or open water, those provisions could prove life-saving. With offshore trips more common during the summer months, now is the perfect time to stock up or replenish your own ditch bag. Here are some key items to include:

1. Waterproof VHF Radio
This is a lifeline between nearby boats or searching aircraft or rescue vessels. Waterproof integrity is critical and make it a point to recharge or replace the batteries on a regular basis.

2. Waterproof GPS or PLB
A Personal Locator Beacon like those made by ACR Electronics or Ocean Signal have transmitting beacons, homing signals and strobe so rescuers can find you quickly. A handheld GPS as a substitute permits a relay of an exact position via VHF. Like the radio, make sure power is available for either when you need it most.

3. Signaling Devices
A day/night flare or two, signaling mirror and a nylon or plastic bright streamer will increase visibility to searchers. The sound of a whistle or small air horn can be heard much farther than shouting.

4. 1st Aid Kit
If someone is injured band-aids/gauze, antibiotic ointment and pain pills provide quick temporary relief. Sunscreen is another handy addition. Store the kit in a zip-lock or vacuum bag.

5. Water Bottles
A person can survive quite awhile without food, but fresh water is critical. A few bottles will quench the thirst until help arrives.

6. Protein Bars
Include a couple of these for quick sustenance until everyone is back on terra firma eating a steak.

7. Pocket knife or Multi-Tool
Use these handy tools for any number of chores, from cutting adhesive tape to quick repairs.

8. Rope/Zip Ties
A light nylon rope or dock line and some zip ties can be used for rafting life jackets together or other unexpected needs.

9. Waterproof Navigation Chart
A waterproof chart won’t take up much space and could prove useful to pinpoint the last known location or the nearest point of land.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

4reels wrote:Certainly a learning opportunity for everyone, myself included.

After the accident in St. Marks earlier this year, I have used my kill switch and life-jackets while underway religiously - and I owe that to this forum. What do most folks out there use in terms of ditch bags, inflatable rafts, epirb, etc? Does anyone have an example of what they have packed and ready to go in the event of a capsize or other emergency ? I have looked at tons of these things on the internet - but quickly get overwhelmed. Seems like you can spend a small fortune on that stuff. What would the more seasoned folks recommend I/we use when it comes to emergency equipment? I have the required things and a good marine radio (with 6 ft antenna above the T-top), but I often feel I need another layer of security.

Thanks for sharing your advice.
I have both an epirb and a plb. Plus four inflatable pfds, a handheld vhf and gps as backup to the chart plotter and fixed vhf.

I would strongly consider a top quality wearable pfd or two and at least a plb. I often wear my mustang pfd with the plb on my belt. Plb is usable anywhere and cigarette pack size. Only thing is you have to maintain the antenna out of the water.

Offshore these are especially useful. If the guys on that boat hadn’t gotten the vhf call in they would have been in deep trouble. With a plb no.

EJ
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Thankfully these guys were close by. only God knows what would've happened if they weren't. the article also points out that CG didn't dispatch this over? IF this had gone the other way, would the CG be at fault? to me, this is almost like a neighbor calling the fire depot because your house is on fire and they say well you have a hose right? go spray it out and call us if you run into any trouble. lol I'm sure those guys were happy to see any floating vessel at that time! I'm sure there's more to the story and I'm not trying to hate on the CG, just strange IMO.
The two Coast Guard boats that have stopped me south of SM where out of Tampa so I don't think they have a port in our area. I heard FWC is intended to cover the gaps but they are so under staffed it's difficult to count on them as a quick response option. Historically in Wakulla for instance they only have one or two officers on duty at a time. If they are in the words it would probable take a while for them to launch a vessel to perform a rescue multiple miles offshore.
Last edited by tailwaters on July 3rd, 2019, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.